Best way to remove tape/stickers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Electrical Parts Cleaner. You can find it at Wal Mart or any hobby shop that sells radio control equipment. Peel off what you can, especially if it's plastic, then spray the remainder down. I have yet to find any tape or sticker residue this won't remove.

Slow, careful peeling after warming up with a hair dryer, then WD 40 on the glue residue. If you rush it the stickers tear and you have to start over. You can use something like the Lil Chizler to start if you don't have fingernails that work.. Sign supply places have them but you could sharpen a bondo squeegee to do the same thing.

Slow, careful peeling after warming up with a hair dryer, then WD 40 on the glue residue. If you rush it the stickers tear and you have to start over. You can use something like the Lil Chizler to start if you don't have fingernails that work.. Sign supply places have them but you could sharpen a bondo squeegee to do the same thing.

I used to be in the sign business & had to deal with this all the time. I agree with DJ Bill's recipe, but instead of WD40, use Lighter Fluid ( I used Ronson Brand). It removes the adhesive residue but does not leave an oily surface like WD40 does. Try it you'll like it! Lighter fluid will not damage paint either.

Yea that'll get rid of the stickers and decals, but getting rid of the green glow is a complete PITA!

I tend to use Goo Gone, works great for tape and sticker residue... haven't really found any other use for it though.

I had reflective tape on my Flightliner fender braces that was at least 50 years old, hard as paint .... near. I used a heat gun with a plastic disposable putty knife so it wouldn't scratch, came of in nothing flat.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 157
FWIW, a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil will often remove adhesive in cases where WD40 or similar will not. Just wrap it on the affected area, wrap again with plastic, wait some time, and clean it off.

Like blwnmny said a heat gun should work. Also an eraser wheel will get them off really fast and really clean. You can get on at your local autobody paint supplier. If you need pictures or a how to I can take a quick video if needed. It's how we get all the cal trans, chp, police,etc,etc,etc. off. Wont damage the paint either if done right.

In the summer, they usually have a "bike safety" deal for the kids at the firehouse. The first thing they do when the kids show up is plaster their bikes with that nasty reflective tape. It might help save a life but it sure nasties up the bike. As a car driver, I think the best thing they come up with is the reflective pedals. When you see those amber reflections going up and down, there's no doubt you're coming up on a bike. Gary

My kid scraped most his decals off, with a hacksaw blade. Not that I care except I had recently had it painted and spent $40.00 for said decals.
If your Dad is around do not use a hacksaw, try goo gone!

Back