Bent Steerer tube repair advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my challenge. It's about 1/4 off center to the rear.

Fork1.jpg

The side to side appears acceptible.

fork2.jpg

My thought was attempting to cold bend it back ???

Fork3.jpg

Your thoughts? Advice?? How "true" do I need to get???

Thank you

Ratfink1962 said:
Maybe he can weld it himself. Or have a buddy that can weld it.

If you cant find anybody local... send it my way and I wont charge you anything.

Thank you Sir for the kind offer. If I do send it down you have to allow me to buy you lunch to repay the favor.

If the consencious is that a cold bend by hammer is too dangerous, then I would want to just R & R the Steer tube. I don't weld myself. I believe I read that the Steerer tube was brass soldered in? I'm not sure were to look for a steerer tube?

My goal for this bike is to keep as much of the origanal bike that I can. So, I'd like to salvage the fork if I can. However, I do plan to ride this bike so safety is important. :wink:

Roco said:
Where do you live maybe someone here lives close by that can help you out.

I'm in Lake Co. Ill. Top corner of the state near Lake Michigan, 45 min from Chicago.

I've unbent these using a galvanized pipe before. This old stuff is soft, on a fork like that I've clamped the legs in a vise as close the the crown as possible then thread on some beat up bearing adjusters from old headsets to keep the steerer tube from blowing out. Put the pipe down to where the bend is and yank in the opposite direction.

I have straightened dozens like that. Clamp the steer tube in a vise using a vee block just behind the bend, pull evenly on the fork blades holding about halfway down, slow and steady with lots of power. Check the steer tube with a straight edge and then align the fork blades.

c.p.odom said:
I have straightened dozens like that. Clamp the steer tube in a vise using a vee block just behind the bend, pull evenly on the fork blades holding about halfway down, slow and steady with lots of power. Check the steer tube with a straight edge and then align the fork blades.

thats how I do it..... :roll:

I actually have a lot of really nice OLD fork straightening/alignment tools, but I still won't bend things like that back. I suppose they used to do it all the time, since I have the tools, but it just scares me.

The next time that thing fails it could mean a trip to the dentist. But I guess this is Rat Rod Bikes... :lol: There are tons of Rat Rod Car that shouldn't be on the road either.

I might be a little worried about cold bending the steerer tube. If you know anybody with a torch then IMHO the best approach would be to heat it up and then bend it. As far as the part failing under load I think you have to consider what it took to bend the thing in the first place, and try to avoid that loading scenario in the future :mrgreen:

Gentleman thank you all for your wisdom. While my inner Caveman was all prepared to Hammer the tube back into spec, I've decided to
take Mitch up on his offer and R & R the Steerer Tube. This is a great site, you have all made me feel very welcome. Thank you!

The bumper jack method is VERY IMPRESSIVE! No need to fear doing this as the steel forks are extremely forgiving. I take them to my bike shop guy who has been fixing bikes for 35 years. He has the tools to do it right and jumps at the chance to use them! Many shops wont touch them anymore on account of maybe being sued. Good luck!

Back