Bent Fork Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a DaHon Folder from another board member and unfortunately it got damaged in shipping.

One of the fork legs was bent in and back.

I'd like to get some ideas on the best way to repair the damage?
Or if someone would happen to have a replacement :D

Also, I'm a little concerned about the the structural integrity after the repair. Right now I'm weighing in at about 280 but cycling is part of my exercise and diet plan so I hope to be down to a reasonable weight before too long.

Here's some pics I took

20120313_173301.jpg

20120313_174750.jpg

20120313_182027.jpg

20120313_182052.jpg

20120313_182149.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Man, I'm sorry to hear about this mishap.

I would try to brace the bike or remove the fork and brace it in a vice or something. Sometimes I clamp my work to a table, pole or tree. A cheater pipe would be nice here. A pipe large enough to go over the fork leg. Just start bending in the right direction. Some of the twist will come out while getting the space for axle correct. I would then bolt something in place where the axle goes to hold the proper space while correcting the twist. You may have to re-clamp the bike to straighten the twist. The straight fork may try to twist a little too but I would go with it because it shouldn't be off much now anyway. I think it will still be plenty strong. Good luck. You can do it. It's not rocket science.

This is why you should ship with a piece of all thread and some nuts to space the forks when packed.

Those short forks should be pretty stout though, so simply bending it back should not be a problem.

I would consider that fork unusable. The fork leg has been compromised as evidence of the crimped metal and flaking paint.

What gorilla shipping company did that damage, and can/did you make a claim?
I agree that given your weight (or any weight) you dont want to be doing a header/face plant because of this!

I'd say it's bent too badly. It will straighten, but will be weak at that bend. Hopefully, Dahon forks aren't that different from others that size.

gcrank1 said:
What gorilla shipping company did that damage, and can/did you make a claim?
I agree that given your weight (or any weight) you dont want to be doing a header/face plant because of this!

It was UPS. I've made a claim to them.

Wildcat said:
I'd say it's bent too badly. It will straighten, but will be weak at that bend. Hopefully, Dahon forks aren't that different from others that size.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the forks are unique to the DaHon folder.
The steering tube is rather large in the diameter.

I've poked around a but but no luck in finding a replacement.

I'd have to concede that the fork will be weaker than new (obviously new is weak or we would not be here discussing it) and that a brand new one would be better. I'm just saying I've been straightening metal for over 40 years and professionally for over 35 years (including motorcycle mechanic, bicycle / lawnmower mechanic, Oil well drilling, oilfield diesel truck mechanic, manufacturing, fabrication and R&D of farm equipment and railcar inspection, welding, fabrication & repair). I would go for it. If money is no object, delete this thread. Please consider that when the wheel / axle is tightened into place, the fork assembly will be exponentially strengthened. That's the original design. The original design is also exceedingly stronger than extreme conditions would prescribe.

Love, Mick

I hope your claim comes thru, but dont hold your breath waiting.......... it took them about 3mo. to settle up on mine and the claims adjuster who looked at the damage and wrote it up was totally favorable to me.
Just sayin' they aint quick, at best, and at worst.....well, you know.......
I do agree that once the wheel is bolted in the assembly becomes more than the sum of the parts; but regardless, they owe you a replacement fork.

gcrank1 said:
I hope your claim comes thru, but dont hold your breath waiting.......... it took them about 3mo. to settle up on mine and the claims adjuster who looked at the damage and wrote it up was totally favorable to me.
Just sayin' they aint quick, at best, and at worst.....well, you know.......
I do agree that once the wheel is bolted in the assembly becomes more than the sum of the parts; but regardless, they owe you a replacement fork.

Absolutely! They owe DaBigK a new fork. We agree.

mos6502 said:
This is why you should ship with a piece of all thread and some nuts to space the forks when packed.

Those short forks should be pretty stout though, so simply bending it back should not be a problem.

I think it might be toast.

I always cut a piece of cardboard from a box, about 6 inches long and roll it up and stick it inbetween the dropouts of the frame and fork. Then I use that clear plastic wrap to hold it in place. the cardboard is as strong as wood when done like this.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I'm going to wait until I hear back from the claim I made. I don't want to start disassembling it until I know it won't hurt my case with them. I'm going to start to look for a replacement.

That looks pretty bad. I'd be inclined to distrust it, due to the obvious kink in the area of highest stress, which was already weakened by the factory dimple. :( If you can find a Dahon dealer, a new fork is probably not too expensive. http://www.dahon.com/locator

Back