Bendix - Nexus shifter help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gents,
I recently installed a bendix three speed shifter on my bike with lots of help from board member BarnesTO (Tonnes of Help). Everything seems to be working ok besides the occasional downshift issue. It upshifts beautifully from 1rst-2nd-3rd, but on the downshift from 3rd-2nd it doesnt always go down to 2nd right away. 3rd to 1rst isn't a problem just 3rd to 2nd. I think part of the issue is there is nothing holding the shift cable cover in place at the bendix shifter end. I think these shifters were originally meant to be ran with no cable cover at all. When I upshift to 2nd gear the yellow indicator is right between the lines on the nexus window, but when I downshift the yellow indicator doesnt end up in the same position it is out of the tolerance. I attached a few photos to help show what I mean. Any ideas ?
image2.jpg

This is what the cable looks like going into the shifter (notice the cable cover has no cap or stop like on conventional shifters. Also the excess cable has since been cut.)
image.jpg

This is the cable ran around the kickstand and tied to the frame with cable ties. I do have the cable zip tied around the bend of the kickstand pretty tight,could this be an issue ?
bk1.jpg

This is the picture of the cable going into the nexus bellhousing, when i shift you can see the cable moving abit where the fine tuning 10mm bolt is, with my old gripshift the cable couldnt move because the other end was secured to the shifter.

Great Link..Thanks
I tried rerouting the cable and cutting the cable ties but still a slight delay on the downshift. I know when it upshifts its pulling the bracket inside the bellhousing therefore pushing in the pin. It does this with no problem but like I stated its slow on the downshift when your releasing the pull on the cable ..so I know there is some resistance on the cable causing it not to snap back as quickly. Do you think this will work its way in over time loosing up inside the sheath ?

is there no rear housing stop, or is it just not shown in the photo? a cable exiting a piece of loose housing isn't likely to shift well at all.....

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if you are referring to a stop for the cable sheath at the shifter end then no there is no stop. Any ideas ?

camps23 said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if you are referring to a stop for the cable sheath at the shifter end then no there is no stop. Any ideas ?

ha! i should have said 'shifter' housing stop! i had derailleurs on the brain :D

but yes, i can't imagine it working well without one. could be tricky with the angle you need, but puzzle on it long enough and i'm sure you'll be able to rig up something :wink:

Yes pics helped but I mounted it on the other side of the bike. If I remember correctly you ran the cable straight from the hub to the shifter only a little ways away with no cable sheath at all. Your setup works great ? No issues without the sheath ? Once the weather warms up I will try to break in the shifter and work out any issues. If still have problems might try your setup. Thanks

Back