Bendix 76 help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took apart my Bendiz 76 successfully only to discover two of the bearings sets have been used/rusted to death. I have looked all over the interweb and have had no luck finding replacement parts. Are these standard size bearings that can be bought anywhere? If so can someone tell me if the two bigger bearings are the same size?

Thanks,
inShane64

Does anyone have hands-on knowledge of this hub? It is givin' me heck. It needed all new bearings and I found some, and they seam to be a couple thousandths too big, so I tried to put the old ones in and they seam to big too, I know I am putting them on the right way but I tried both directions just for kicks and they dont fit either way. Does anyone who has rebuilt a 76 have an idea what I am doing wrong?

I got a boatload of bearings in my toolbox I threw a few hand fulls in the box with your other stuff. Should be something to work in there. :wink:

I had a similar problem with the front wheel bearings on my Heavy Duti (same rear brake as yours) It turned out that the front wheel uses a 15/64th ball, and not a 1/4. I'm not sure, but this might be the case with your rear bearings. I had to use a drill index to sort through all my old bearings in order to find enough of the smaller ones to complete the bearing set. The 1/4 " bearings wouldn't drop through the hole that held the 15/64th inch drill bit. If you have new bearings, see if they are the exact size as the old ones. If you don't have a drill index that goes by 64ths, put some of the new, and older bearings together between two pieces of metal, or glass to see if the new ones are larger. It's almost impossible to tell by just looking. Hope this helps.
Again, it might be easier to just find a new brake altogether.

JWM

I have a strong dislike for those 76 hubs. Made in Mexico. Heat treating on the bearings and races is poor to non-existant. Toss the 76 and get a Bendix RB2 red band. You'll never have another problem. Gary

FYI, all bearings in a 76 are 1/4". I cracked one open the other day and it looks good inside. Chrome is flakin' off the out side' but I'm ganna use it anyway cause I'm a rat.
A RB2 is a better hub though, so you're probably better off.

Latest posts

Back