bending original forks.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys wondering if you have any pic illustration any help trying to bend my original blade type forks on 68 schwinn typhoon like them low and stretch a little trying to be different with low budget thanks.

Hmmmm...I'm sure someone else will post with an idea...But that might be tricky, imo...I'm pretty sure those are forged forks. Very strong, to be sure...And I would think tough to bend, and get 'em straight and true anyway...What about laying your hands on a set of tubular forks off another bike? Just about every other bike out there has tubular forks which are MUCH easier to bend and can be had for a "dime-a-dozen". Plus, I don't think I'd want my first try to be on my '68 Typhoon forks. :wink: Practice on a cheap (free?) set first. Good luck! :mrgreen:

Here's a thread on the subject;

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9254&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fork+bending

In my experience the flat forged are super easy to bend as steel rod will always be weaker than steel tube pound for pound in bending. The main problem is keeping them straight while doing it. All of the old forged forks I've come across without truss rods seemed to be bent in about 6 different directions(the old 5/16 axles bent easy too which didn't help things), always see them bent back in ebay/CL pics etc too, real weak at the crown.

If you have typhoon forks that aren't bent, I would recommend saving them and bend something else. They would probably bend at the crown, and become very weak. They already have a propensity for going off center fairly easily. :|

i just put some springers i have a 70s schwinn also put some bent springers not bad i just trying to be differnt than the other schwinn any ways thanks

heres what i did, i got the same effect but didn't technically bend them. i had 2 of the same forks, cut the drop-outs of the pink set, then made like a sleeve out of the orange set, slipped the orange ones over the pink ones and welded. they still need some more work before paint. but also keep in mind that this will also extend them kinda chopper style. just my thoughts-Atomic
07030909581.jpg

Back