Belair tricycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a lot done this weekend... but not much of that was on my bike. The five speed hub is significantly wider than the three speed it is replacing. Because of that, I had to widen the carrier to hold the wider five speed. A little cutting, welding and fitting and I think I have it nailed. I still need to figure out a brake arm for the new hub... but that'll have to for another day.

IMAG0192.jpg

Is there any updates? I have a columbia trike I want to fix up. Do you know how the back wheels come off and where I can get that hub? I wanted a nexus 8 speed.

When I saw this photo, I was thinking you were going to run both hubs and end up with a 15 speed.

I will look back through you build, but do you have any details on how you made your Nexus 5 into a trike hub with the extra sprocket?

JaxRhapsody said:
Is there any updates? I have a columbia trike I want to fix up. Do you know how the back wheels come off and where I can get that hub? I wanted a nexus 8 speed.

Not really- I've got the hub and carrier in the tricycle. There's a pretty big difference with the new hub vs. the old old hub in circumference. The chain is too tight, so I need to get a slightly longer chain. I still don't have a brake arm figured out yet either.

This is the hub I'm using:
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/6/id/46

If you really wanted to use a Nexus hub, I'm sure you could. I think you'd need to be able to make your own sprocket. Maybe a friend with a water jet? It would be a lot of work (and expense?) to get that creation made.

If you have the same rear axle as I have (check the pics posted on the first page) then you take the bolt off of the axle, and pry/pound the rear wheels off of the axle. Mine stuck a bit so I damaged one of the hubs a little... weld, grind, smooth... fixed!

mrfritz said:
On the nexus or NuVinci you get a disk brake mount for the hub and then use a top hat adapter and sprocket to make them into a transmission.

http://kingssalesandservice.com/

If you contact him you'll find he's really helpful.

I’m at work so I don’t have the time to check out the link thoroughly, but wouldn’t that put the sprocket on the wrong side of the hub?

thehazmatguy said:
mrfritz said:
On the nexus or NuVinci you get a disk brake mount for the hub and then use a top hat adapter and sprocket to make them into a transmission.

http://kingssalesandservice.com/

If you contact him you'll find he's really helpful.

I’m at work so I don’t have the time to check out the link thoroughly, but wouldn’t that put the sprocket on the wrong side of the hub?

On my trike axle the key groove goes pretty much all the way across so I could put the final drive sprocket aligned to the transmission on either of the hub. So to answer your question, yes it puts it on the other side, BUT in a trike configuration using it as transmission I'm not sure it's "wrong"...

kingfish254 said:
When I saw this photo, I was thinking you were going to run both hubs and end up with a 15 speed.

I will look back through you build, but do you have any details on how you made your Nexus 5 into a trike hub with the extra sprocket?

The hub I'm using is a Sturmy Archer hub, or gear box as S/A calls it, that (I think) is supposed to be installed in quadracycles because it has a reverse gear. It came with the extra sprocket pre-installed. Once my phone uploads my fairly poor pictures, you'll be able to see how the extra sprocket is attached to the hub. It wouldn't be rocket science to make virtually any hub a tricycle hub / gear box.

Here's the old hub. The sprocket is welded on.

IMAG0209.jpg

Here's the new hub. The sprocket is bolted on with allen head bolts, the holes in the hub for the spokes have been threaded to accept the allen head bolts.

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

Awesome, thanks so much for the detailed photos and explanation. That is exactly what I was looking for.
I will either use an old 3 speed hub or the newer SA 5 speed hub I picked up from an RRBer.

I should have made this update a long time ago ago but I got tied up with other projects.

I got the five speed hub in and it's nearly tuned. I've only got 20-ish miles on the tricycle and the hub itself seems to be breaking in and shifting smoother. It still doesn't seem to shift 100% right. I've tried all sorts of adjustments, there seems to be plenty of "this is how it's done" video's on youtube and I think I've tried most of them. So, for now at least - I'm going with the assumption that it needs to broken in more.

I thought having reverse on the tricycle would be a novelty but it sure is handy. Every tricycle made should have reverse! Reverse isn't a separate gear, each gear has a reverse function. So... Let's say your riding a long a road and you want to stop. You just put backward pressure on the pedals like any coaster brake bicycle until you come to a stop. Once you're stopped, you keep putting backward pressure on the pedals and the tricycle backs up and you keep pedaling backwards. You can do that in any gear, 1-5 gears. When I ride the tricycle around, once I'm in the saddle, my feet never touch the ground. Go, stop, reverse = it's like parking a car.

Getting the chain figured out was brutal. There's two chains, one from the fixed bottom bracket and one from the fixed axle. The carrier that my transmission hub sits in moves up and down slightly and back and forth a bit. The new five speed hub had a larger sprocket so I needed a longer chain. After I added one set of links, I could not get the chain tighted because of adjustability issue mentioned above (the carrier only moves a bit each direction). I really wanted that larger sprocket for the lower gearing so I took the tricycle to several local bike shops. One bike shop suggested a "half link" and the other idea was to keep trying sprocket and chain combo's until the issue was fixed. My local bike shops didn't have many sprockets to try, so I'd be on the hook for ordering (buying) multiple sprockets until the right one is found. I didn't feel like fooling with this process myself so I took the easy route = I pirated the sprocket from the old hub, removed the link that I had added... and the chain is now tight. I'd really like the lower gearing of the larger sprocket for steep hills but that isn't going to happen for a while (if ever).

Here's some pictures - you can see some of the oil/grease working it's way out of the hub.

PICT9754.jpg

This is how I decided to work out the coaster brake arm on the hub. The hub didn't have and doesn't come with one. After talking with the local bike store I bought the hub from (and they talked to the importer they bought the hub from) I found out that the hub is supposed to be installed in a carrier. The carrier should have a small slot that the existing coaster brake bracket would fit into. Since I didn't have the carrier it should fit into, I was on my own. I wanted to take the hub apart, remove the existing brake bracket and fabricate an arm. I don't have the tools to take the hub apart so I took the hub to two bike shops - nobody could take it apart (without the risk of scratching the hub). I considered welding a brake arm on the brake bracket while the hub was assembled - but that sounded like a bad idea. At a minimum I could roast the grease inside the hub. My motorcycle has a simple arm from the swing arm to the brake carrier so I decided to mimic that design.

PICT9756.jpg

Latest posts

Back