Beast Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guys doing what they do best! Will get to see bike for first time on sat and do some fitting of the seat and parts. Am told should have a ridable bike by end of weekend. WooHoo!
1524606_869350749750334_6133148752164789403_n.jpg

Later!
Rod

Welding is done!! Got it mocked up enough to test coast down the street and it will be a blast to ride! Still have final assemble to do, brake cables, drive train, set up, that sort of thing. Then I can pick it up on sat for the bike fest on sunday! First pic stem risers, next is the sissy bar mount to frame, then finished sissy bar and last pic is chopper next to my steady ride, the wheelbases almost match! Still need to cover seat pan, pan in pic is the bottom half of the seat. There is a top pan that goes with it. Dude holding up the chopper is Kevin, he is part of the Porkchoppd fab crew. Thanks for a great job Kevin!

beast%20chopper%20stems.jpg

beast%20chopper%20sissy%20bar%20mounts.jpg

beast%20chopper%20sissy%20bar%20done.jpg

beast%20chopper%20sissy%20bar.jpg

beast%20chopper%20next%20to%20Guzzi.jpg

Last edited:
If you look close at the rear shot of the sissy bar you can see where the bar is split. The two lines where the grinding stops. The bottom of the bar up to just above the seat is permanent, the guys came up with the idea to insert a slug of rod into the tubing and make the top of the bar removable. The top bend is solid bar down to the grinds.

Once the bottom section was in place we just kinda let the bar build itself and followed the natural taper to the top.

If I stand behind the bike the top of the sissy bar hits me right at the eyebrow line, It's TALL!

The tab just under the seat is a tail light mount. Couldn't put it higher cause the top section has to flex slightly to remove.

Going to find something to put up top. Don't know what. But I will check out the Hobby Lobby and stores like that. Gotta be some small cool little thing I can put in there.

I don't know. If you look close the 1" center isn't quite wide enough to fill in the stems. Think I may have the same machinist who made the stem spacers, turn a custom handle bar. 1" aluminum rod out to where the grips will be, then turn down to the 7/8 needed for the grips. Then to use the bar end levers, he will drill out the ends to fit the levers. Didn't get that pic of the brake levers. Will have lots more pics after next sunday.

Last edited:
Saw this today very cool bike. Talked with you a few times as well, I was the guy with parts set up behind a silver VW Jetta.

Easy to build,

Fork/triple tree is from Bicycle Designer. Disc mount is built in.

Head tube, rear disc brake mount and cable guides are from Nova Cycles.

Headset is a heavy duty sealed set, not sure on brand as shop had it. Much better than stock cage bearings.

Front wheel is a 29" Sunringle MT Bike wheel, bike shop ordered it so not completely sure, also disc hub and spokes. Tire is Phat Bikes 29" cruiser.

Rest is all Beast. Stock crank,pedals rear wheel rim. The rear disc hub is a freewheel from ChoppersUS. Tire, Surley Black Floyd.

Seat was swap meet find. Sissy bar basic fab work.

Stems are basic replacements that could be gotten at any shop. Same with levers, brakes, cables and grips.

Only one off part really on the entire project is the stem/fork inserts. Would think that with measurements and these pics, any machinist could duplicate it. Caution, there is a slight seam inside the fork tubing, so machinist should know this. My inserts had a full length slot so that wasn't an issue.

Still deciding on handle bar. Almost thought I had a great low rise ape hanger but it was 7/8 bar that had the center 1" stem collar welded on. Didn't think it was worth the effort to cut off the stem collar. Once ready I will either find an actual motorcycle bar or have the fellow here on the forums build one. Finding a bar with the right width to fit the stems has been the issue.

Should get it powder coated in a month or so. Still have a Toys4Tots ride to go on before I can tear it down.

It rides great once you understand HOW it rides. Not fast at all, basic cruising speed. Took it for a ride oldtown part of Wichita, stopped by a bike shop and they each had to take a try at it.

If I had the extra cash I might try it with the new 3G springer. But that thing is $$$$. And oh so cool.

See ya,
Rod

12 inch rise old school bar, check
old school chopper brake levers, check
new Grips, check
new cable and housing do redo the brakes, check

This handlebar along with the levers will really set this chopper into the 70's

Now the wait while the parts go for a truck ride.

Gotta find a stars and strips helmet now!:rofl:

See ya,
Rod

First 7/8 inch handlebar didn't work, was too narrow for the stems.

Second 1 inch handlebar should be on it's way and hopefully will fit fine, but I will have to find new levers and grips.

Looks like I may be taking the bike to a real motorcycle shop to find grips and levers. I have a couple in mind after the holidays

I totally missed this build! I like the way it's come together!
Thanks for using a Black Floyd on a beast rim, I plan to do the same when I build out my Nanner Puddin fat Sears Screamer build.
Can't wait to see this baby painted up.

No progress made. The 1 inch handle bar was wide enough, but the stems will not slide around the bends. So back to cutting up a bar I already have or getting one made.

Not painted or coated yet either. Probably going with a decent rattle can finish to get by on for a while.

Had to replace a vehicle and took the bike building funds. Also my other hobby, rocketry, placed a beating on my wallet over the thanksgiving holiday sales. Changes at work also have me really busy so weekend time is short.

But spring is in the air here, if only for a day or so, and I will get going on this and my other ride project soon.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

See ya,
Rod

Back