Bayou Mafia bike NEW PICS! 2/7/2012

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I kinda dropped off for awhile, my apologies. We have been super swamped with loads of work to get ready for World of Wheels in New Orleans. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOUR GOING TO BE HERE! I would like to meet some fellow RRBers! http://autorama.com/shows/attend/new-orleans-2012

With 2 new bikes for entry we were/are head over heels into this but keeping time for the important things.

So heres the story of the Bayou Mafia bike.

This bike was originally green and was built for Childrens Hospital. It was raffled off and brought in a large amount of money and it all went towards the hospital.
My little brothers school sponsored the build.
The bike winner was an underprivileged boy and well deserving of the bike. It was just him and him mother and they have been staying in a motel 6 for quite sometime.
The boy and his mother eventually had to move and they couldn't bring the bike along so it was sold and purchased by a friend of my brothers from the same school.

For a year and a half he never mentioned anything of the bike to Luke ( my bro ) and one day the topic of bicycles came up. The boy told Luke what he had and Luke flipped out! It was the same bike he built! He didn't ride the bike hardly at all, just kept it in th garage. Luke asked if he wanted to sell it, the boy said sure. So for $100 dollars, we got a bike that was worth $1720.00 and it had an even better background for being built.

A friend of our family wanted the bike, but wanted us to do some trick things to it, so he bought the bike and we began to work. I let Luke do most of the fab work because after all, it is his 'child'
Here is what he did.

In the beginning: It started life out as a $135 Mongoose Rebel from wal-mart.
BayouMafia12.jpg
BayouMafia13.jpg
BayouMafia3.png
BayouMafia3-1.jpg
BayouMafia4.jpg
BayouMafia5.jpg
BayouMafia11.jpg
BayouMafia10.jpg

Here is the super cool front end springer. He used a go-cart spindle.
BayouMafia8.jpg
BayouMafia9.jpg
BayouMafia7.jpg

Some ol school stuff here! Fishscaling! The seat was rolled in an English wheels then polished and fishscaled.
BayouMafia6.jpg

and here we are. Bettet pics are coming soon! I promise!
BayouMafia2.png

BayouMafia1.png

Re: Bayou Mafia bike

Looks good! :D Can't wait to see better pics :wink:

Here we are! New pics! At the World of Wheels 2012 in New Orleans. took 1st place in its class!
DSC04763.jpg

DSC04762.jpg
DSC04764.jpg
DSC04765.jpg
DSC05019.jpg
DSC04718.jpg
DSC04701.jpg
DSC04699.jpg

This is what the bike started out as.
HotBike20.jpg

All it takes is an imagination and time and a little money. :)
Happy pedal pushin!

It was just a regular flat piece of aluminum and I worked it in an English wheel to get the cup and then polished the heck out of it. Started with 180,320,400,600,800,1000,1500, then 3000 and worked it with a buffer and polish.

I tell you that part because it is important to have allot of shine if you want the fishscaling look to really pop, you'll need to do that.

The ol' skool way is to get a scotch brite pad, wrap it tightly under the eraser side of a pencil and twirl it.

I had means to an uber awesome 3M denibbing tool. since my pops works in partnership with 3m, we (3G Fabrications)get to 'test and try' a lot of stuff! :D

This is what was used http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/itemdetail. ... o=MMM+7653
That little thing that is in the charger thing comes out and moves ever so slightly back and forth. I put 1000 grit on it and went to work! Took maybe 3 minutes max to fishscale it.

Latest posts

Back