barn find minibikes fr 75 for the pair 1 runs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well I was combing thru the good old fashioned world of internet sale sites and usually I just do it to laugh and ask what in the heckfire are these people smoking? however, I did find something cool and jumped on I as soon as I saw them.
not one but 2 minibikes!!! both barn fresh and supposedly the black one runs I just had to put the carb back on and have to throw some gas in it.
the Baja which is the red one does not run but it seems like it wants to I just have to get a return spring for the butterfly and it should fire up. however it does seem really easy to pull which means the compression may be gone in which case I will just get a new motor eventually.
anyone have any idea what the black one is? I thought maybe a rupp roadster but then I thought impossible and no way I would not be lucky enough to find such a treasure for 37.50( half of 75 I paid for both) there is no identifying marks on it anywhere but it appears to have been a pit bike at one time. the gas tnk is not the original tank I was just zip tied on there so it will run.
it does have a Tecumseh engine which is why I thought rupp and why I thought roadster was the wheels and forks.
both are pull start and the black one wants to go.
I bought that one for my girls to ride and the Baja will be daddy's toy ( and mommy's she wants to ride it too lol)
so with that being said did I do good on these? I feel like I did but as with anything I am skeptical and do not trust anyone.
also I know there is a few minibike fans here and figured I would share my score and let you guys see there is still some hidden treasure ( or not) out there just got to know where to find them I guess.
also I praise god whenever I find a good treasure I know he guides me.
I will post a vid when I get the running
Sean
12651199_10206769410051934_4918952414565314605_n.jpg
12651251_10206769409731926_2400360938985674174_n.jpg

Black bike looks like a Rupp, but it may be a Rubb knock off.

You can throw a $99 Harbor Freight 6.5hp 212cc Predator engine in each one and then the fun really begins.

I'd agree, the black one does look like a Rupp. I think you did well, specially if you get them running.
Kids having fun on a mini bike is well worth $37.50

put the carb back on the black one and added gas to both neither wants to start. the guy I bought them form said the carb needs replacing on the black one so im going to try that with it.
the red one pulls very easily so I am thinking no compression but my wife wants me to get them both running and is ok with buying a new engine for it so im going to put that predator 212 on it as rat rod mentioned that just sounds fun and I have to do it lol will update when I get them running the black one almost started but just wont so I may tinker with it and see if I can get it to fire
sean

Those predator engines are pretty good, people use them for this kind of project all the time.

The ratrod mini bike may have already been done, but who says you can't put your own spin on it?

Here's the Doodle Bug I built last year...

I installed a Predator engine, jackshaft kit and header pipe along with a custom seat and tires from Tractor Supply.

It ran pretty good and I eventually sold it to someone locally for $600.

db_garage.jpg

Those predator engines are pretty good, people use them for this kind of project all the time.

The ratrod mini bike may have already been done, but who says you can't put your own spin on it?
very true there an I am thinking of doing mine with flames on the fenders and etched into the frame that is if I can figure out how t do them.

I installed a Predator engine, jackshaft kit and header pipe along with a custom seat and tires from Tractor Supply.

View attachment 16453
that thing is sweet!!!!! I I love them doodlebugs their my favorite style of minibike which is why I like the Baja so much. looks like it was meant to fit there. very nice work and gives me hope on mine thanks for sharing

well little update I had the Baja running for a few seconds then it quit so it will runn once I figure out what is going on with the carb the throttle wans to open but not close which may be a little problem lol.
it fired for about 2 seconds then quit so I will have it running today most likely. I also need to cut some spacers for the front wheel so it doesn't rub . but that's minor and easy to do.
more updates soon.
Sean

ok question does anyone know what could be causing a fuel blockage?
if i spray gas directly into the carb the black one fires right up but then dies out. i don't know if there is some kind of filter blocked or something in the fuel lines maybe? it seems like the throttle is not working either on a good note when it fires the engine sounds healthy and rather quiet which i need to fix:whistle:
any ideas where to check for this issue? i was told the carb is junk so it coud be something inside the carb or could it jut need to be primed? any ideas at this point would be appreciated
i have ahd this carb all apart so if y'all know what to look for inside the carb just tell me what and where pleasei wanna ride my toy lol

sean

It could be a few things, if you've already replaced the fuel line and any filters it could be build up in the carb.

I don't know what type of carb your working on but when I cleaned the one on my Indian moped, I had stuff built up in the little pin holes, I had to use a really thin piece of wire to get them cleaned out. Soaking in carb cleaner did nothing, I tried CLR. It worked, I wouldn't recommend it but it worked.

It could be a few things, if you've already replaced the fuel line and any filters it could be build up in the carb.

I don't know what type of carb your working on but when I cleaned the one on my Indian moped, I had stuff built up in the little pin holes, I had to use a really thin piece of wire to get them cleaned out. Soaking in carb cleaner did nothing, I tried CLR. It worked, I wouldn't recommend it but it worked.
i too have heard the wire method i was going to try that next
thaks falstaf fuel comes thru the line just fine but not alot im assuming these engines do not take much fuel to run. so it is most likely the pinhole problem.

black one still does not start i think i am just going to replace the carb and fuel lines and call it done as far as the red one i discovered the engine has a hole in it not quite sure how it happened but i have torn the engine down and decided i am going to put a 212 predator engine in it and build it into a fun toy probably going to repaint it as well and look into some cooler wheels for it. more updates soon

Does the hole look like it's been drilled, or like it took a hit and got a rock or something through it?
I'm just trying to imagine how that happened.

i found a severely scratched area by the frame near the hole so i assume it got dumped or thrown hard and that is why the hole is there but thats ok i ground down the scratches and resprayed the area and it is fine but the motor is definitely no good this has become a build so i will most likely start a new thread on the biuld process of it once i get the time to actually work on it plans are a 212 predator engine and a flat black paintjob and maybe some different wheels i would like to fnd a slick if possible i am going to have to look into that i might also put apehangers on it and definitely going to reupholster the seat maybe a diamond tuck type of seat ( i think that's what their called) more uates soon.
sean

View attachment 16453
i still really like this one it resmbles my baja alot and when i think minibike this is the style that comes to mind also how cna you not love mooneyes that is iconic

well little update on the black minibike i could not figure it otu so i sent it to abuddy of mine and he got it running for 30 bucks so it now runs i also discovered this is afox thudercat(i think thats what he said it was thunder something) and it needs lots of work but it is afun toy for the girls of course me being the big ape i am i already dumped it and i think i bent the front end a little the front wheel seems out of allignment think i wills tick with bicycles their cheaper and less dangerous to my health more updates soon i will post a video of it running soon as i can make one i gotta spray it with ethyr at first justa tiny shot and it fires right up if i leave the fuel on which i discovered when i got it back it will leak out the carb so i think the gaslket may be bad i was told it definitely needs a carb or carb kit beause it wants to take off when it runs but not enough were it is dangerous if you sito n it ti won't go anywhere but if you lift the rear tire off the ground it wil move i was told once the carb gets either rebuilt or replaced that will not be an issue anymore. sorry i haven't posted ina while i kinda ahd these on the back burner the red one is still under construction i will be working on that next

Latest posts

Back