Balloon Tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Im new to this site and vintage bikes, I normally mess with hot rods so this is probably a stupid question to all of you. But Im looking to put a set of 50's or earlier style looking tires on my grandma's 1939 Lincoln bike that Im restoring. Id like to get some of the biggest fattest widest whitewall balloon tires i can get for it. Any suggestions on where to find some cool vintage style tires? If it were a car Id just go to coker tire and order some but Im at a loss for bike tires.

as far as reproductions, schwinn typhoon cord and carlisle lightning darts seem to be the most common but still costly, unless you find a deal. NOS 50's tires are still around on ebay but most demand top dollar :|

otherwise felt "quick bricks" come in a 26x2.125" and have a somewhat old styled tread pattern
they also sell "thick bricks" in a 24x3" overall they are fatter but are slightly smaller in heighth than a 26x2.125.

electra sells a monster white sidewall called the fatti-o in a 24x3" but the tread looks more like an modern aggressive chopper tire.

if you like red tires I also recommend the "Grand Tycoons" theyre 26x2.125 and have a brick tread just like the schwinn typhoons.

also forgot to add...

The cheapo "Kenda/Pyramid/Duro" tires are great too and alot cheaper, most have similar tread to the older stuff, they just have "made nowhere near the USA" all over them, but at a glance or riding by, no one will know the difference unless they stop and read your tires. most bike shops will carry them, i know k-mart used too, havent seen whitewalls at walmart in a long while unless they were on a bike.

Back