Bagged & Shaved '62 Comet Wagon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after trying to sell or trade my '41 Dodge for a month and a half someone finally was serious about it and offered to trade his 1962 Mercury Comet Wagon thats been bagged in the rear and shaved all the way around for my Dodge. It has the stock 170 i6 with a 2 speed Merc-o-matic tranny, it's pretty cool but it needs a little work before it'd be a daily driver. Here's a picture of it a while back before someone painted it primer red.

10531914a8728506566l.jpg

Cool! Hey, I also belong to http://www.stationwagonforums.com

There is a whole following for station wagons, I'm most people look them over. But Wagons and 4drs simply mean more room for chrome, to stretch out, etc... :mrgreen:

partsguy said:
Cool! Hey, I also belong to http://www.stationwagonforums.com

There is a whole following for station wagons, I'm most people look them over. But Wagons and 4drs simply mean more room for chrome, to stretch out, etc... :mrgreen:

That's a cool forum! I like 4 doors and wagons over coupes, it's so much easier to cram a bunch of people in them and go cruise the streets. I can even fix 2 bmx bikes in the back seat of my falcon without loosening the bars or anything.

kram said:
So are you going to do the trade? That '62 wagon is pretty cool, I just sold a 1962 ranchero which aside from the roof line is basically the same thing. It might not get you anywhere fast, especially with that fordomatic, but still an awesome little car.

Yeah I'm doing the trade, the guy came over and gave me some cash to hold my car so I know he's serious about it.

tnt1 said:
awe some car if you need a driver door a falcon door will fit it

Thanks for the info! The previous owner clipped a wall while backing up and now the door won't close or open all the way so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a replacement. The frame has a pretty big notch in it with airbags to get it that low, when it's aired out the bumper is about 1/4" off the ground. 8)

I like the old 6 cyl's and my falcon has a 200 i6 in it so I'm pretty familiar with them already. The dash is pretty decent and it still has all the knobs! I redid the frame notch today because there were some sketchy welds on it that made me nervous.

P1050676.jpg

I had a '76 Mustang Cobra 2 that had the same door problem, I just took it off the car, disassembled it and beat it back into shape with a large pipe and a hammer from the inside. Got it close enough that it shut and didn't leak. then beat the outside fairly straight and bondoed the rest.

That thing is sweet 8) I personally like the bare metal better :wink:

I'd like to paint it metal flake yellow / gold but that'll have to wait till spring. Did some brake work, replaced some hoses and finished up the frame last week. I got to take it for the first offical "road test" today (not just around the neighborhood) and it's almost a little to low, it scrapes on almost every corner and dip in the road and it peels road reflectors right off of the road. :lol: Sorry for the blurry pics, still getting use to the new camera.

IMG_20111113_133931.jpg

IMG_20111113_133955.jpg

IMG_20111113_134218.jpg

Hey don't get me wrong it looks cool low, but have you found a regular ride height that works with your roads? I though having a bagged car was to be able to raise it to drive then lower it to park?

Did you find a new door?, looks like you made progress to get a closing door.

abe lugo said:
Hey don't get me wrong it looks cool low, but have you found a regular ride height that works with your roads? I though having a bagged car was to be able to raise it to drive then lower it to park?

Did you find a new door?, looks like you made progress to get a closing door.

Even when the bags are all the way aired up the bumper is still 4" off the ground and I did find a new door. :D

Back