Back Road Bargains Part II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, went back today to get any rims he had left - picked up 8 rims, one Sturmey, all others not sure, mostly front wheels, but pretty bad shape. The I saw it, a different pile of bikes, I said hey, can I look over there - he said OK, so I went to it. I pulled out about 5 or 6 old girls frames - cool stuff, all different, etc. and the pile kept going under a bunch of weeds. I left all the girls frame there, there were tricycles, 16 inch bikes, etc., but al pretty rusted. Anyways, I found these three frames - paid $10.00 for them and got real dirty, but I like them - they ALL need work, but I though they were cool & different. Here they be:

Western Flyer with sprocket like bike Eddie found
tbike_01.jpg

tbike_02.jpg

AMF Texas Ranger with funky dropouts... neat solid sprocket covers...
tbike_03.jpg

tbike_04.jpg

tbike_05.jpg

A sweet (to me) old school chopper bike, frame has four bars! Spikey dropouts. I love this frame - whatever it is! I may even leave the old forks....
tbike_06.jpg

tbike_07.jpg

tbike_08.jpg

tbike_09.jpg

Cheers.

cool, the last one is a spaceliner frame, just so ya know. and the "star" chainrings came on AMF's originally i believe.

Thanks CCR. So who made them? Cool name! Spaceliner...

wow cool, just did a search: "he Spaceliner was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co. from 1964 to 1968. It was manufactured by the Murray Bicycle Co. in Cleveland, Ohio"

Thanks for info! This would explain the weird brackets on front & bars.. to hold that tank thing...

Anyone have a spaceliner tank? :mrgreen:

http://www.trfindley.com/pgspclnr.html

Hey, thanks for links - WOW!
Well, I tried to at least toss something together so I could ride it (in less than 3 hours)- I fugured it's been sitting for 30 or 40 year eh? I snagged the star sprocket off the other bike, added some old cranks, replaced chopper forks - they were bent, and when I tried to take them off the whole neck broke/twisted in half - the seat post also broke off in the frame, but I got it to hold a stem OK. Anyways, still hours of work to do to frame to get rust off, and some may not come off - but all in all, she runs fine - a dry run if you will. The bars are off old exercise bike, rims off an old Murray, and tires off a mountain bike (all I had for now)...

space_01.jpg

kingplinker said:
Hey, thanks for links - WOW!
Well, I tried to at least toss something together so I could ride it (in less than 3 hours)- I fugured it's been sitting for 30 or 40 year eh? I snagged the star sprocket off the other bike, added some old cranks, replaced chopper forks - they were bent, and when I tried to take them off the whole neck broke/twisted in half - the seat post also broke off in the frame, but I got it to hold a stem OK. Anyways, still hours of work to do to frame to get rust off, and some may not come off - but all in all, she runs fine - a dry run if you will. The bars are off old exercise bike, rims off an old Murray, and tires off a mountain bike (all I had for now)...
That bike is sick looking, you could keep it just like that.

thanks guys - rode it a little yesterday - still some bugs to work out. I think I need thinner tires - - bummer too cuz I actually like the way those mountain bike tires handle on gravel. - - I thought I saw a frame of yours that had those big back dropouts like the AMF - I seem to find crummy versions of the bikes you find! But I love 'em! Can't wait to see your bike. Cheers, Troy.

man............ ANOTHER STAR SPROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I WANT ONE!!!!! that thing looks so sweet................ GREAT FINDS!!!!!

hey gimpybmx - on the classified page theres a thread for trading, ill bet if ya got somethin good someone might have a star chainring to trade ya, or at leas somethig unique that ya might like.
hers an idea, standard one peice cranks can usually be used on bmx and full sized bikes, some of those have solid chainrings and you could paint stars on em or drill into 'em or something, just an idea.
fast eddie outty

fast eddie said:
hey gimpybmx - on the classified page theres a thread for trading, ill bet if ya got somethin good someone might have a star chainring to trade ya, or at leas somethig unique that ya might like.
hers an idea, standard one peice cranks can usually be used on bmx and full sized bikes, some of those have solid chainrings and you could paint stars on em or drill into 'em or something, just an idea.
fast eddie outty

hmmmmmm......... i dont know why i didnt think of that... i was thinking about finding a machine shop that could cut them out or something... but i COULD probably do it another way....... now im on the hunt!!!!!!!! and as far as that trading thread goes.... i got a bike TODAY and ive taken some parts on it that i plan on posting tomorrow... well see if anyones interested!!!!!!

Back