RRBBO13 Back In(B) The Day: Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my front wheel built today.
038.JPG

039.JPG

040.JPG

Still need to true/tension.

Did some cleanup around my workbench today. Can't really tell it from the pic. Also tried on front wheel with some different fenders. Don't think there is enough room under there for the tire. Might need to explore a different fork or not run fenders.
041.JPG

I also cracked open my 3 speed hub to see what's what. Looks okay to me. Just dirty. I will give it a light cleaning and lube. I'm not going in any deeper.
042.JPG
043.JPG
Must go and do family stuff now.

Thanks for showing the internals of the hub - I haven't seen inside a coaster brake SA hub before.
Rim & hub & black spokes look good! Interesting design with the peanut shapes on the flanges...I love little details like this
I opened it up because of the condition of the bike that I took it off of and it sounded loud when coasting. It looked like it had spent a lot of time leaning against someone's garage. I'm going to try to get the shell looking good, give the innards a light cleaning and lube it up.

More boring polishing. Working with 320 grit emery at this point. Still work to do around the head tube and bottom bracket. Did a little file work on some of the brass.
View attachment 77474 View attachment 77475 View attachment 77476 View attachment 77477 View attachment 77478
Cool ride, I like the rain gutters if they work. Isn't polishing steel fun? I have a custom trike I spent way too much time polishing so I feel your pain. Good luck bro,and keep sanding! !!

Cool ride, I like the rain gutters if they work. Isn't polishing steel fun? I have a custom trike I spent way too much time polishing so I feel your pain. Good luck bro,and keep sanding! !!
Yeah, sanding is cool. I'm amazed how much dust you can make just sanding by hand. And how much of it ends up in your nose.

More progress to report.
Got my Sturmey hub cleaned and lubed and back together.
054.JPG

Here are my shifter components:
055.JPG

The quadrant lever looks to only be for a two speed? At least there are only two detents. I think I can make it work for a three speed.
So I got my rear wheel built and found out I messed up somewhere and my spokes are just a bit too long. Fortunately, I can correct it by getting shorter nipples. In the mean time, I chucked up the wheels to see what I'm working with so far. Clearance for the 29s looks good(without rubber anyway).
058.JPG
059.JPG
060.JPG
061.JPG

Next, I think I'll offer up my coffin sprocket to see how much chain I'm going to need for sure.

Quadrant shifters are way cool... I have one on a Raleigh. Yours looks to be a really early model?
I've never seen one but they did make a 2 speed quadrant shifter. For the 3 speed versions there is no indent for 3rd - for 3rd gear the cable is at it's slackest in the most forward position, with no tension the cable has no need for an indent. Mines marked LOW - N (normal) - HIGH. I can see NORMAL in one of your images but not much else of the markings.
I think in the early 3 speed SA hubs the gearing was the other way round - 1st gear had the slackest cable, but that probably wouldn't change the cable pull using an early shifter on a later hub.

Last edited:
Quadrant shifters are way cool... I have one on a Raleigh. Yours looks to be a really early model?
I've never seen one but they did make a 2 speed quadrant shifter. For the 3 speed versions there is no indent for 3rd - for 3rd gear the cable is at it's slackest in the most forward position, with no tension the cable has no need for an indent. Mines marked LOW - N (normal) - HIGH. I can see NORMAL in one of your images but not much else of the markings.
I think in the early 3 speed SA hubs the gearing was the other way round - 1st gear had the slackest cable, but that probably wouldn't change the cable pull using an early shifter on a later hub.
Makes sense. I hadn't thought much about it really. I had planned on comparing the quadrant shifter to a trigger shifter that was on the bike I robbed the hub from.

Interesting, that's different to the usual 3 speed with 'normal' being the middle or second gear. I don't know anything about the very early hubs though - where did you come across the shifter?

In any case, it should hopefully work with your hub. With the quadrant shifters it's easy to set up the gears - you put the lever in the forward slack position, then adjust the cable tension until the cable is taut in that forward position. That's it - easy!
It's looking cool on your build :)

Interesting, that's different to the usual 3 speed with 'normal' being the middle or second gear. I don't know anything about the very early hubs though - where did you come across the shifter?

In any case, it should hopefully work with your hub. With the quadrant shifters it's easy to set up the gears - you put the lever in the forward slack position, then adjust the cable tension until the cable is taut in that forward position. That's it - easy!
It's looking cool on your build :)
This was one that I found on ebay. I had bid on several and didn't win. I finally put a lowball bid in on this one, I think it didn't have a very good picture, and won. There is a guy in Indonesia selling some pretty good looking repops right now.

I got my chain situation lined out. I recently found three of these NOS inch pitch chains for a good price.
064.JPG

Unfortunately, I needed 58 links and the chains were 56, so I had to knock a few links off of the second chain.
065.JPG

My Park chain tool didn't like it but I was able to knock off a couple of links. Adding The extra links to the first chain was via a brass punch and a hammer. The chain tool didn't want any part of that. This kept me from having to use two master links.
Finished product:
066.JPG

Back