axle size solution?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo, I got a shinny new set of wheels for the ol' Sonic Scout, but I didn't realize the axle on the front wheel would be too large to fit into my fork (as well as my truss rods, etc.). What is the best solution for this? I have a thinner axle from on old wheel set, but I think I'll run into issues with the cone nut not mating up to the bearings, not to mention covering them completely. Are there wider flanged cone nuts out there that would make this work? I'm hesitant to start dremel-ing all the parts of my bike if there is an easier/better fix. Any input would be appreciated
IMG_0640_zpse25c63a2.jpg

IMG_0642_zpsc86403fa.jpg

IMG_0641_zps64df79ba.jpg

is this a problem whereby the 100mm front O.L.D won'tfit in your old 91mm-spaced fork? Or is this a situation where the front hub's axle diameter (either a 9mm or a 3.8") is too beefy for the fork?

In my opinion the best solution is to:

1. remove the axle from the hub
2. mark the spots on the axle where the fork needs to fit over
3. clamp the axle in a vise and use the side (edge) of a file to file 2 flat spots on each end where you marked, all 4 parallel.
4. You will only be removing the raised threads down to the level of the shank, you will not be reducing the working diameter of the solid shank.

Some people will tell you to hog out the slots in the fork, but axles cost 2 dollars and original-to-bike forks are "priceless" :D

I should ad that you will probably need to drill out the holes in the fender struts and truss rods "very slightly"... but that is harmless in the greater scheme of things.

I agree in filing off the threads enough on the current axle. I usually do this without removing the axle. This makes it easy plus you wont have problems when reassembling with messed up threads.

i usually just grind a little out of the back of the drop outs , i would avoid altering the axles as you will have problems cleaning bearing in the future , the truss rods and fenders are usually drilled larger so you probably wont have to re-drill them

OneHorsePower said:
i usually just grind a little out of the back of the drop outs , i would avoid altering the axles as you will have problems cleaning bearing in the future , the truss rods and fenders are usually drilled larger so you probably wont have to re-drill them
The bicycle companies used to flat their axles to fit the narrow drop out(on the front), I always modified both a little. File the drop outs to be the same, then file the axle to fit.
Common fix.

idk just seam more simple altering the back of the dropouts ,you'll still be able to fit original size axles afterwards , i am guessing original was 5/16" and new are 3/8 ? so you only have 1/16 to file or grind .. quick and not even noticeable afterwards

They're called slotted axles... used to be more common BITD

You can still get 14mm slotted axles for BMX - it's not hard to make them yourself as has already been mentioned

$(KGrHqR,!qQFBGvGM67dBQj08+0Lj!~~60_57.JPG

oct02-119-63.jpg

oct02-119-79.jpg

Back