Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had and used Photoshop personally and professionally since 1996, but for something like a quick crop or resize I always use a free program called Irfanview, it's always been great at compressing file sizes too to save space and have your pictures load faster.

You can get it free from here: http://www.irfanview.com/

Done, e-mail sent back.

I had to crop most the wheels since it's needs to be square. The other option is an even tinier avatar since you are limited to 80x80 on this forum. Hope it works for you.

Yoothgeye is on this one. Irfanview should be at the top of your photography toolbox.

Photoshop or Elements for the serious editing stuff, and Irfanview for all the quick and dirty, need to maintain the quality stuff.

jerrykr said:
Yoothgeye is on this one. Irfanview should be at the top of your photography toolbox.

Photoshop or Elements for the serious editing stuff, and Irfanview for all the quick and dirty, need to maintain the quality stuff.

Thanks, I discovered irfanview back in college I think, back then when everyone was on dial up, if you wanted anyone to view your webpage you had to have your photos load fast, and irfanview could compress well. I use irfanview to do batch size conversions all the time.

yes, you got that right. batch conversion is really useful for resizing your photos for photobucket or any other internet based photo hosting.

May I suggest resizing to 640x480 pixels, and set the file size to about 150K in the Irfanview batch conversion routine.
works well and is very fast for uploading to photobucket and for viewing on the forum here.

Irfanview does loss-less jpg edits and conversions, which means that it maintains as much of the quality of your original photo file as it can when you are resizing down for the web.

it's a great tool, what it does, it does very well. Photoshop when you need to get serious, of course.

I'm a long time user. I sent Irfan a donation a long time ago. Could be time to send another along to him. :oops:

I keep editing this as I think of good things to say about Irfanview.

The software is very small and self contained.
As far as I can see Irfan does not store things in your Win registry, or use DLLs.
the whole program is in the .exe that you download from the link Youthgeye provided.

One more tip: I use the Irfanview slideshow to review my new photos to pick out ones that I want to save, edit, post, or use in other ways.
have a pencil and paper ready to write down file names of ones you like.

Let's keep praising Irfanview.

I love that I can get the photos off of my camera and double click one and then use the space bar to scroll through all the images (backspace to go back) or right/left mouse click.

Drag a box, Ctrl-Y your image is cropped. Pow!

I actually used an irfanview color filter on all my build-off finished photos, and people seemed to like them.

Back in the day I used it to easily extract the frames from animated gif files.

If you don't have it, GET IT!

We need a pro status option or something for a couple bucks so we can have a larger avatar and longer sig. Both are extremely to small.

SSG said:
I think large avatars, big sigs with flashing lights, animated sparkle gifs and such things tend to clutter up the page.

+1 Forums with huge signatures and animated avatars and signature banner make me not want to scroll.

Back