*auction find colson clipper and story*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! I was away on a 16 hour strait drive to memory lane/ann arbor where I picked her up. Its a solid bike no cracks or rust holes. I bought the head-badge at memory lane, I'm still searching for the chain guard and the colson cushner if you know where one is let me know!

also he was about 400 off of what he thought so some one knew a little about what they were bidding on :wink:

Rockit! said:
Hey you got it! So, how far off the 150 was the auctioneer? :mrgreen:

That is KILLER!! :shock: no need to be hate'n me when you find such great bikes :lol: shoe is on the other foot now :x

Thanks for you're input on the Schwinn :)

Think I saw this bike at the AA swap parked right next to a travel trailer and under an awning?

If it's the same one, that is an incredible transformation. :shock:

What type of technique are you using to remove the rust?

one in the same, it was parked next to my pacemaker and a few other projects. a lot of naval jelly.
you should have walked up and introduced your self :D

sleepy said:
Think I saw this bike at the AA swap parked right next to a travel trailer and under an awning?

If it's the same one, that is an incredible transformation. :shock:

What type of technique are you using to remove the rust?

Nickinator said:
you should have walked up and introduced your self :D

I certainly would have had I known it was you. As I walked past, I vaguely thought that the bike looked familiar and then later thought it looked eerily similiar to the one I had seen posted the day before here on RRB....and then thinking what an odd coincidence that here was another, right down to the decayed tires!

Glad I got to see it in person and again, an incredible job of getting it back to the original paint. 8)

DUDE that is the sweetest patina :shock:

Tell me more about the naval jelly stuff ( how do you use it ? , where do you buy it? how long does it take to work its magic ? where does it not work or does it harm paint ,etc.... )

Re: *auction find colson clipper and story with updates!*

naval jelly eats all the rust away down to bare metal. I used it on every part on this thing, here is the process i did.
step 1. Apply naval jelly for (30-40 minute soak) keep an eye on it you dont want it to take to much off or it will eat away the paint
step 2. rinse with water after, if you just wipe it down it will continue to eat down to the raw metal.
step 3. after rinsing it and wiping it down spray wd-40 on the part and scrub with steel wool 000
step 4. rinse again wipe down again.
step 5. if you like the patina thats left on it coat the part with wd-40 to prevent the part from rusting further. (or) repeat the process but, when your done make sure to coat the part in wd-40.

junknutz1975 said:
DUDE that is the sweetest patina :shock:

Tell me more about the naval jelly stuff ( how do you use it ? , where do you buy it? how long does it take to work its magic ? where does it not work or does it harm paint ,etc.... )

Nick, I just saw the updated pics. Absolutely amazing!!! Lot o work went there I'm sure but that is unbelievable. I'm floored!!!!!

1918 Ranger

Thanks guys for all the positive comments! Alright boys and girls, since my crusty colson clipper is a 41 and was made right befor the war started I have decided to paint a nose art/pin up girl on the chainguard I get like bombers did durring WW2 here are the names I have come up with

(Barnacle Beatrice) (not sure what to put as the pin up)

(Battleship-Becky) Kind of a sailor girl dressed for power.

(Ghostly-Grace) Kind of a see through ghost image riding the bow of a ghost ship

(woMan of war) dressed in revolutionary gear or, a girl on the front bow of a wooden ship like a mascot.

(shipwreck-Shelly) which i would have dressed in really tattered clothes

and My favorite, (unShakable-Shelly) which I will have sitting on a battleship gun pointing out to sea as if she were yelling (FIRE)

What do you guys think?

also here are a few update pictures.

Good Luck with your bomber style pin up girl Nick, she''ll suit the character of the bike beautifully and thanks for the Royal Jelly lesson,
That was the perfect bike for the demo and it came out looking really good. I actually did not know that much paint could live under that old cRust.

How about unSinkable Shelly? Makes sense for this bike. :wink:

I also think it would look good with some really loud colored tires on it. Give the bike some visual "pop"

All right guys, here is another update on this beautiful rusty wreak. I finnaly found the missing parts and in a blazing heat that we had today I through the bike together for a ride and it rides great! It rode so smooth with a little grinding :wink: the springer works and the chain guard is on!

Cool man! I think you can make that chain guard come reallll close to matching without repainting.

Spray it with a sandblaster from far away so it takes the paint off in a "pepper" pattern (like on the bike) I do this a lot with FRESH paint, but I've never done it with old. *disclaimer :mrgreen:

Soak some rusty parts in white vinegar for a few days. It makes a "secret sauce" which you can brush over the paint. Let it dry then you can buff it back a bit with some steel wool.

Very cool. Just picked up one from antique archeology today. Sweet!

How old are you? I'm 18. Nice to see young guys like myself in the hobby.

I am now 21, but I started when I was 18 and congrats I saw it over on the cabe and it looks great! clean it a little and call it done!

Nick.

Double Nickle said:
Very cool. Just picked up one from antique archeology today. Sweet!

How old are you? I'm 18. Nice to see young guys like myself in the hobby.

Back