Anyone tried a Nexus 3 hub on a 20" childs Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was wondering if anyone here has ran a Nexus 3 coaster brake hub on a 20" kids bike. Experiences and thoughts about this would be appreciated. My Mother and myself are planning to purchase a 20" wheeled bicycle for my Niece (Moms granddaughter) for Christmas and I would like to add a Nexus 3 hub to it. I'm hoping we can find a vintage American made bike for her instead of having to buy a new China bike. Been looking but haven't come up with a good candidate yet. It has to me mostly pink or purple and in very good to excellent condition for her. I had considered buying a girls frame, painting it, and building a bike for her but my remission period is fading for this year and I will likely be to ill in the near future to tackle such a project. Lacing a Nexus hub will be enough of a challenge since I've never laced a wheel before. Think I can do it because of all the good posts about it here and videos on YouTube.

I'm running a Nexus 3 coaster on my daughter's Lil Chik muscle/cruiser. It works great for her, but she is EXTREMELY easy on her bike. Her riding is limited to slow cruising at the beach. First and third gear aren't used much, but come in handy if she wants to pick up the pace or barely creep along...
DSCF3056.jpg

Good luck with your build.
Cheers,
Dr. T

That is a great Lil Chik you built for her. My Niece is easy on things as well. I believe she might use the 1st gear some because the community they live in is very hilly. Her and her brother ride all over the neighborhood with their friends. It's one of those rare places that you see lots of kids on their bikes. When they stay with us now and then they bring their bikes to go on rides with me when I'm able to ride. Thanks for letting me know the Nexus 3 worked out great on your daughters bike. That makes me learn more towards adding one to whatever bike we come up with for my Niece.

Back