anyone made a springer fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,

so I really want a dual springer fork for my build I'm starting (like the Monark ones some people are selling) but I really don't have the cash to be spending over $100 on just the fork... has anyone built forks that look similar to the dual springers for less money? Or faked it just for the look? I am trying to pay for a wedding and my fiance going to grad school so having to be tight on budget for this build as much as possible. Thanks guys!

Got it! I will see what I can figure out! I am going to be getting help from a guy near me who built bikes before once he is back in town! Can't wait to show him this and see what we can do!

You can make a similar springer using 2 forks and a single spring on the center.

You can make a similar springer using 2 forks and a single spring on the center.
I've been looking for some detailed photos of this and what spring to use etc.. Do you know a thread that you can direct me too? I haven't found one..

-J Wolf

You can use most anything, and adjust the nut on the stem for more or less spring. However, it's important that the main spring be stronger than the recoil spring. Also note that some springs are compression- they store energy when squeezed- and some are expansion- they get bigger when they store energy and release it by coiling up. You want the former. I'm sure a trip to a scrapyard will give you plenty of options.

I've been looking for some detailed photos of this and what spring to use etc.. Do you know a thread that you can direct me too? I haven't found one..

-J Wolf

Sorry J Wolf, I don't have any pictures. The ones that I fabbed were 30 years ago. The easiest one that I can describe, is a 24" fork on the bike. This can be done with the fork forward or reversed for a little different look. Add a plate at the top of the fork where the front fender normally mounts, then use a 26" fork for the Springer mounting it above the plate that you weld in. Cut most if not all of the threaded stem off of the 26" fork. Then install a long bolt through the plate and through the center of the fork. The fork will have to have a shim/spacer made to keep it from being sloppy on the bolt. Then insert the spring above the fork. I have lots of old valve springs, so I can usually find a single that has a acceptable rate. When I build the rockers, I prefer for the wheel to mount ahead of the Springer much like Johnny Payphone's how to. For safety's sake, the slot for the axle in the forks will need to be welded closed and then drilled. Shoulder bolts are always best, but on the cheap, you can usually take 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" bolts that aren't completely threaded and through a combination of washers make pivot bolts. Just use grade 5 or better bolts (the cheap stuff will wear too quickly) and cut off the extra thread with a cutoff wheel. I imagine that I have made this clear as mud. Sorry....

I do have some pretty cool triple valve springs that have a chrome outer spring if you want to try a couple of them Master.

Last edited:
Sorry J Wolf, I don't have any pictures. The ones that I fabbed were 30 years ago. The easiest one that I can describe, is a 24" fork on the bike. This can be done with the fork forward or reversed for a little different look. Add a plate at the top of the fork where the front fender normally mounts, then use a 26" fork for the Springer mounting it above the plate that you weld in. Cut most if not all of the threaded stem off of the 26" fork. Then install a long bolt through the plate and through the center of the fork. The fork will have to have a shim/spacer made to keep it from being sloppy on the bolt. Then insert the spring above the fork. I have lots of old valve springs, so I can usually find a single that has a acceptable rate. When I build the rockers, I prefer for the wheel to mount ahead of the Springer much like Johnny Payphone's how to. For safety's sake, the slot for the axle in the forks will need to be welded closed and then drilled. Shoulder bolts are always best, but on the cheap, you can usually take 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" bolts that aren't completely threaded and through a combination of washers make pivot bolts. Just use grade 5 or better bolts (the cheap stuff will wear too quickly) and cut off the extra thread with a cutoff wheel. I imagine that I have made this clear as mud. Sorry....

I do have some pretty cool triple valve springs that have a chrome outer spring if you want to try a couple of them Master.

Big Ape- if you've got multiple valve springs I'd be interested for my build as well!

t.gif

Here is One I made.....used parts of a 20" bent lowrider springer, 2 hub axles [1 front 1 rear] a 4" MTB shock [ 6" is too long] and a measured piece of plate metal bent into a square U. I'm not finished with the bike yet, But I'm really like 'in it. The wheels are 24" Worksman rims w/ thick bricks

FullSizeRender_zps43725bb9.jpg
IMG_2491_zpsd1cefe2e.jpg
IMG_2490_zpsa2935d57.jpg

t.gif

Here is One I made.....used parts of a 20" bent lowrider springer, 2 hub axles [1 front 1 rear] a 4" MTB shock [ 6" is too long] and a measured piece of plate metal bent into a square U. I'm not finished with the bike yet, But I'm really like 'in it. The wheels are 24" Worksman rims w/ thick bricks

IMG_2491_zpsd1cefe2e.jpg
IMG_2490_zpsa2935d57.jpg
Sorry for jumping in on your thread but was going to give a little tip on how outsider did his springerfork where the shock is bolted at the top the U shaped piece between the shock and where the original spring is bolted it needs to be welded in between the U piece and the piece that is slid onto the head tube if not it will eventually twist I did the exact samething on my bike in the MBBO muscle basket case is the name of it there is a couple pics of the fork I learn the hard way that it will twist
EDIT-----------
Maybe I'm wrong I put a U piece at the bottom of my shock on the original bracket the springer has and you just have a single horizontal bolt maybe yours won't twist I would still strattle the wheel and try to see if it twist when trying to turn the bars
Okay SORRY again for high jacking your post just trying to help

Last edited:
Back