Anyone have any INFO. on this Antique Hartford?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up this Hartford and i can't find any information on it. I can't even find another Hartfort anywhere on-line. Any information would be very helpful!!! :D
The head badge reads ... " Hartford Westfield MFG.CO. Westfield,Mass.U.S.A. " The numbers on the bottom read " D 5 2 7 (a 2 sideways) 0 4 ". There are also some strange marks on the rear bracket. I think it's from arround 1900s?
numbers.jpg

strange.jpg

rearhartford.jpg

headbadge.jpg

sproket.jpg

fork.jpg

need.jpg

hartford.jpg

Um... I know the guy who use to own it.. who also knows pretty much nothing about it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have seen two other Hartfords and they were built by Columbia. I have a early 30s girls bike badged "Crawford" and it was identical other than paint to the ladies "Hartford" that I saw. I do not know boy's bikes well enough to recognized the frame (sorry, I only collect ladies bikes because, well, I am a lady). Yours does seem older than the other boys "Hartford" that I have seen though. Hope this helps and enjoy your sweet bike :)

According to thewheelmen.org this Hartford is from 1916 ! Hartford was only produced in Westfield MASS. in 1916 by the Westfield Manufacturing Company.

I have seen two other Hartfords and they were built by Columbia.
Westfield is the parent company of Columbia. They may have been separate in the teens, but by the 20s they were together. -Adam

Hartford is the company (or nameplate) that built the Black Beauty, right?

The Black Beauty is the one bike I'd truly love to own.

Right now i'm trying to track down a "pull-through" front hub for this thing... not having any luck. A couple local bike shops actually got a chuckle out of it when i asked if they knew where i could find one :? If i ever find one, i'm going to get a set of wood rims for it :D Then i have to find someone willing to lace them... no-one arround here will touch them (liability issues). :(

I think i've figured out something that will work... i could use a hollow hub from a trike (36h) put a piece of pipe inside to act as a shim (the hollow hubs are 5/8" and i need to shim it down to 3/8") then simply slide a 3/8" axle through. :D Might have to buy a whole wheel though... can't find just a hollow hub yet...

flatblack50 said:
I don't think so. I found a Black Beauty bicycle, but it says it was made by Rollfast.

The bike I'm talking about is alot older. The Cabe used to run one on their front page occassionally, it was the black and white photo of the little boy next to the Black Beauty tank bike..I'm trying to find it on Google now.

hartfordcomplete.jpg

Here is a pic of the Hartford when i first got it home. Sold the industrial wheels off of it already. I cant wait to get the wood rims for this thing and get it done!!! :D It's gonna be sweeeet 8)

Very cool bike! I think Sensor is right. You just need to spread the fork legs to get the axle in. This has worked for me in the past. I also have a catalog from the turn of the century that has a fork spreading tool. Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you get it done! :mrgreen:

newest photos- 1916 Hartford?

whitetires.jpg

whitetire.jpg

The wood rims and hubs are on there way. I just went down and got the Mondo all white tires for it. I'm going to paint it probably gloss black. I'm also thinking of brass plating the bars, crank, sproket, bearing cups etc. Costs about the same as chrome... and how many bikes to you see these days brass coated? :D

Ow, and about the front hub... i'm going with a regular 3/8" bolt on alloy hub (i wanted a chrome hub, but the only crome ones at the bike shop were really low quality). With a 5" axle i barely have to spread the forks to get the hub in.

found some info on this Antique Hartford...

So... turns out my Hartford is from somewhere between 1916 - 1933... i'm still not sure on the specific year yet.
I found this on vintagecolumbiabikes.com
The Westfield manufacturing company started as the Pope Manufacturing Co. in 1877. The company then went through several name changes...
1900 - Pope, H.A. Lozier & Co. and several other bicycle companies joined to form the American Bicycle Company.
1902 - American Cycle Company
1904 - (went back to...) Pope Manufacturing Co.
1915 - Pope files bankruptcy
1916 - The Westfield Manufacturing Company
1933 - westfield manufacturing becomes a subsidiary of The Torrington Co.
1961 - Columbia Manufacturing Co.
1967 - Columbia merges with MTD
1987 - Columbia files bankruptcy
1988 - (purchased by local management) Columbia Manufacturing Company

Wood rim pics

I ended up going with a simple alloy bolt on axle for the front and a New Departure model D skip tooth in the rear. Just got the wheels back from Center Cycle in Renton WA.
woodwheels.jpg

OK... I love that sprocket!!!

My Babe is a primo collector of COOL Sprockets! She's got one of just about every kind ever known to drag a chain around...... and she does not have one of those. If I got her that for her birthday, she'd be mine forever! If you decide to sell it, let me know.

Latest posts

Back