Anyone else planning for BOTEN (RRBBO#10) yet?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of now i have a couple of main projects that require some key parts before i choose the one to go with

I will be doing a backup build that will be a demo for upstart (production frame/ coaster brake) bicycle racing with rules inspired both by the little 500 race and cycle speedway
http://www.iusf.indiana.edu/about/history.shtml
http://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/2011-cycle-speedway-world-championships

Frame I will be using is an aluminum trek cruiser frame
1101-151230_zpse481565e.jpg

If interested keep an eye out for build "Circle Trek"

The first of my materials I will be using for the first time arrived, a kangaroo leather hide:

Front:
16083363429_2bf6842524_z.jpg

Back:
16268650042_3571beedac_z.jpg

Love the smell of leather! So that is the seat cover taken care off, pretty sure I can find other uses for it on the bike too!

Luke.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421376189.596113.jpg

This might be my RRB BO10 project. If so it will be pretty straight forward. Outside the box builds don't seem to be received well regardless of the work involved.

Heck yeah! My "Haze Gray and Underway"
will be my biggest undertaking yet. Big with lots of sheetmetal and rivets, all fabbed up with a great deal of inexperience. I'll actually do some welding. I'll stock up on band aids and fire extinquishers, and expect to actually make a good run in the voting for once.

I just remembered that I have this CWC Roadmaster from @Walker tucked away somewhere. I love the patina on it, so it may be a simple build if I end up in a time crunch.
Pinkard062813031_zpseefe1a69.jpg
Another 40's CWC? Great!

I still haven't finished my build off bike from last year. :( Plus, the bike I was going to use for BOTEN I'm already building it now (the Hepcat). Maybe if I pick up a project bike before then I'll build it. I'm hoping to build something.

I don't know what my build will be, but I think I have my build name.
"VERBOTEN" which is German for "For BOTEN"

title-verboten.jpg

So here we are with 4-5 months to go but I find I am already planning and ordering parts, some have already arrived, others are still on their way.

Going to try some new things this time, been inspired by the awesome work done by other builders with materials I am not as familiar with and build on the concept of "BigJim" and the stalled "FatBob" projects and try to come up with something cool.

Anyone else planning and sourcing bits and pieces yet?

Luke.
At the risk of sounding more stupid, what does BOTEN mean anyway? Cheers

Have a wheel set on the way, have a couple of frame sets as candidates.
Some surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks, should be ready to go again by May 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of sounding more stupid, what does BOTEN mean anyway? Cheers
BO= Build-Off.
TEN= well, ten... This is the landmark tenth annual major build-off! :banana:
Have a wheel set on the way, have a couple of frame sets as candidates.
Some surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks, should be ready to go again by May 1.

Hope your surgery goes well MF! You always come up with something interesting on your builds!

Luke.

Survived hernia surgery today, should be good to go by May 1st.
Picked up an Evans Colson bike with a few Schwinn parts couple of weeks ago. So now I have three platforms to select from.

I don't know what my build will be, but I think I have my build name.
"VERBOTEN" which is German for "For BOTEN"

title-verboten.jpg
I would have guessed you'd go with this name after last year bonine chatter.

Good luck to all in the build off. I'll be watching from the bleachers.

It's been the same teams in the big game the last few years. I'm confident it will be similar this year. My build will be too boring to document

Back