Anybody sniffing BO 19 in the air?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0990.jpeg
IMG_0989.jpeg
IMG_0991.jpeg
I’d like to use this hub on my build. I bought it cheap on eBay a couple of years ago. What I didn’t consider was how I’m going to get the freewheel off without a rim attached for leverage. Has anyone had success with something like this?

Woo! Just ordered some fat tire rims. I can't get over the fact that ordering rims from Germany and having them shipped to the US is faster, cheaper and more reliably in stock than anything I can find here in the US
2nd-choice-rim-dw100-24-double-wall.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 263191View attachment 263192View attachment 263193I’d like to use this hub on my build. I bought it cheap on eBay a couple of years ago. What I didn’t consider was how I’m going to get the freewheel off without a rim attached for leverage. Has anyone had success with something like this?
Made a rookie mistake last night
IMG_4985.jpeg

Got in a few hours of work tonight.
IMG_4986.jpeg

Ruined the dork disc, but got the freewheel off!

Last edited:
View attachment 263191View attachment 263192View attachment 263193I’d like to use this hub on my build. I bought it cheap on eBay a couple of years ago. What I didn’t consider was how I’m going to get the freewheel off without a rim attached for leverage. Has anyone had success with something like this?
Put the socket in a vice set the freewheel on top take a pipe wrench and ever so gentlely pull you don't need it all the off just need it to pop

Yup, what he said @Pondo . You need to find leverage. I ruined a hub in the past. My takeaway was the hub was more expensive to replace than the freewheel, so I should have tried something different. What I don't like about what Two J's is showing is that the spoke protector isn't actually connected to the hub or the freewheel, so his set up may just spin without anything holding it. You might find luck in securing that brake arm somehow. Maybe that will hold the hub steady enough to where you can break the freewheel loose. I would pull the drive side of the axle apart and use that to hold the freewheel tool in place, because those two prongs will pop out. I like his ratchet set up if you can get that to work with the freewheel tool, but adding a long pipe as a breaker bar will really help. Then you can give it a quick and strong hit to pop that freewheel.

Last piece of advice: soak the back of the freewheel in PB blaster for a few days. Then heat it right before you pop it.

It worked for me. The other thing to consider is taking the freewheel apart. RJ the bike guy has a video on this. In his case, he had a cheap freewheel that didn’t have notches for a tool. But he destroyed the freewheel in the process.

Those are all great suggestions guys, thank you much. I’m thinking maybe I can bolt the freewheel tool in with the axle, clamp it it up in the vice somehow without damaging the hub and break it loose that way. Or, I have an old lathe my grandpa gave me years ago that I’ve never used. Maybe I can chuck it up in that? I’ll get to work on it next weekend. I’m working on a car trailer this weekend. :thumbsup:

I've got a Suntour hub from the 80's that I made the same mistake with. I cut the spokes out, so the blame is all mine.
I took it to the bike shop where they find ways to do everything. Except this problem.
I used a vise but only gouged the hub. I even went as far to lace up the open side of the hub to a rim and then put a wrench on it. No luck, it sits in the scrap metal box. If you get something to work, I'll try to do the same.

Last edited:
I've got a Suntour hub from the 80's that I made the same mistake with. I cut the spokes out, so the blame is all mine.
I took it to the bike shop where they find ways to do everything. Except this problem.
I used a vise but only gouged the hub. I even went as far to lace up the open side of the hub to a rim and then put a wrench on it. No luck, it sits in the scrap metal box. If you get something to work, I'll try to do the same.
I've done it the way I discribed socket in the vice and pipe wrench on the hub cover the hub first

Where did you find these?😳

Woo! Just ordered some fat tire rims. I can't get over the fact that ordering rims from Germany and having them shipped to the US is faster, cheaper and more reliably in stock than anything I can find here in the USView attachment 263268

Back