ANYBODY SHIP A BIKE TO CANADA BEFORE?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Let me know if you've shipped a bike from the U.S. to Canada before.

Who did you use, what did it cost and was it a total hassle?

If you are shipping to Canada.. most times it is wise to use Canada post... or the USA counter part USPS.
most other shippers in the us have Canadian inter-liners who charge handling fees as well as brokerage fees.
USPS can offer tracking numbers as well as COD if needed.
most times it is not a wise choice for a Canadian to shop south of the border.... but lately the Canadian dollar has been at par or even a penny or 2 more... I would expect to see an increase in Canadian cross border shopping.

I wouldn't expect it to be much of a hassle. just box it up ... the smaller the better.... safely of course. and send it on er way... I've received bikes across Canada with Canada post and not had any issues.

I'd recommend USPS also......I've never had any issues shipping this way to Canada. As always you need to watch your box size, so a complete disassembly is ususally necessary to keep cost down.

it takes about 3 extra minutes to fill out the shipping form. USPS is best way to send for the buyer in Canada, UPS will screw them with terrible brokerage fees. As long as the Canadian buyer agrees to the extra shipping costs and the possibilty of some duties upon arrival you will have no problem and neither will he. Paypal is always a good way to go to too. Ship to Canada YES, to Italy NO

Dorian

Sure have, shipped ups, I find them to be cheaper when shipping big items. cost about 60 something dollars. be sure to use a standard size bike box or you will be charged significantly more. I did not find it to be anymore of a hassel than shipping in the US.

TheFlyingDingo said:
With the customs things, would puerto rico be similar? :D

no if you're shipping from the US. USPS shipping to and from puerto rico is always a better option. using UPS or FEDEX will have you filing for bankruptcy :p

I would say steer clear of UPS. The brokerage fees are brutal for us Canucks. I've bought enough stuff from the States to realize that it's USPS or I go without. As long as the guy buying knows what the possible extra costs are then go UPS. It's quickest but not the cheapest for us. I bought an 06 Dodge Ram wheel on ebay for $25 and got charged $20 for shipping by UPS and when it got to my door it was an extra $60 :shock: I'm close enough to the border of Niagara Falls NY that I ship big stuff there now and drive over to pick it up. Way cheaper.

Bicycles for everyone.......

loaded.jpg

i had a vintage rc car valued at $300.00 shipped from uk to usa for free but i cant remember the company! :( it shipped in like a day!!!! :shock:

Yeah stay away from ups they've screwed me huge on brokerage fees coming from the US Ill never give them a dime again. Go usps ive never had problems with them as canada post takes over after the border. I now get packages shipped to my US address which is 2 mins across the border so I just go and get it, keeps shipping lower also most people wont ship to Canada :roll: this way its a win win and it wont sit in customs for 2 weeks :roll: :?

The deal fell through with the guy in Canada, but it's still good info to know for future use.

Thanks for the input!

schwinnmesa said:
FedEx ftw!

Fed ex is another viable shipping company, however they interline with another shipping company in many of the smaller city areas. this also results in higher brokerage fees or in additional shipping charges for the person receiving the freight.

good thing there is a free trade embargo between the USA and Canada, eh? :wink:

Back