Anybody into long distance road riding?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my latest purchase.
2007 specialized Tarmac Comp. Full 105 with ultegra in the rear. shes faaaaast!
tarmac.jpg

anyone else into carbon?

used to ride long but back won't let me do anymore, so thats why i am buildin a lwb bent. nope not into carbon, but i like em, get to ride different carbon roadie all the time since i work at a bike shop. at 16 lb's those puppies are fast. nice lookin roadie.

Outlaw 8)

ooo, sweet ride.

I am an avid roadie and sometimes mountain biker. I just gave my old USPS Trek (cf) a fresh look by painting the front of the frame and fork blue and put new wheels and tape on. It's like a new bike now. I will probably end up with about 2600 miles this year; short of my 3000 mile goal due to a back problem.

2845432435_bbc1a486a5_o.jpg

Nice ride.

It seems all my riding this year was on the road. My son and I have Fuji flat bar road bikes. We did two 100 mile charity rides this year, one in May and one at the end of September (rained all day, not very warm).

The event is The Ride for Missing Children and it raises money for posters of missing persons.

The May ride had 411 riders in it.

See the pics here: http://ferronephoto.smugmug.com/gallery ... 2724_oWqAu

We raised over $250,000 dollars that day.

September pics here: http://ferronephoto.smugmug.com/gallery ... 6784_gxY5t

I will have about 2000 miles in by the time I park it for the year. I was slowed recently by a 25 mph crash and the resulting road rash. :) Back on the bike the next day, but not so much in the last week.

way to go doing the charity century rides 62. i don't ride one day distances like that any more. can't find the time to train longer than 50 miles.

one missed goal from this summer was to use this on a short 3 or 4 day tour. i only used it for my very short commute, grocery shopping, an over nighter to the girlfriend's house and some inclement weather riding. i built it last year, it is a Nashbar tour frame (with Bridgestone stickers):

2343789518_363603986c_o.jpg

someone asked how much the cf bikes weigh. i never weighed mine.

ifitsfreeitsforme: 3000 a year is a tough goal... i've been trying my hardest to do a hundred a week, but both school and work kinda get in the way, haha. i guess its a good thing i have my priorities straight! I do a 40 mile night ride every tuesday though with a couple of guys from the shop i work at. and then after that it's what i ever I can fit in...

schwinnmesa: currently she's a hair shy of being under 18, but the new ksyrium wheelset I'm looking at should take care of that!

when i raced 15 years ago, i rode 5000+ per year. i was an eating machine and i was really thin (sigh).

if i had rode my bicycle to my girlfriend's house on Friday evenings more (80 miles round trip), and if i commuted more, i would have hit my goal and then some. i don't see me adding more miles to my training rides.

Well, this summer I got rid of my car, so I've been biking ever since. My longest commute is about 20 miles, which I do about once a week. Other than that, it's mostly around town. My usual ride is a Sekine SHC, but I also ride a Sanwa 212 and a couple 1970's and early 1980's Panasonics. Gimme an old steel frame any day of the week! :)

badwolf, right on. i have a 71 raliegh that i am turning from a B/T back to a road bike. it is a very good rider.

Outlaw 8)

OUTLAW said:
badwolf, right on. i have a 71 raliegh that i am turning from a B/T back to a road bike. it is a very good rider.

Outlaw 8)

Good to see a fellow old-schooler, Outlaw! I've got a couple Raleighs rescued from the middle of a scrap heap. Although tired, they are not *scrap*. :D What model is yours? I believe mine are from the mid-1970's, made by Gazelle.

carbon fiber is fun, but my favorite training bike is my 1989 Bridgestone RB-1. it's on it's third groupo and probably has about 20-25,000 miles on it. steel is real.

I still do a fair share of road riding. I ride anything from a 1990's Specialized Allez to early Treks(83-84) and Falcons(mid 70's). Still a big fan of reynolds 5-3-1 steel even though they make a lighter better steel these days. Also have a custom early Truimph and some 3 speed Raleighs. Now seeking a vintage Mercian or Condor. Only got in about 2800 miles this season. But tommorrow is suppose to be nice so going for a ride.

Bicycle Quarterly Subscriber. Nothing like those vintage roadies...

Stepper,
Very nice. The first rike reminds me of my 84 Schwinn Peleton with Sun Tour Supebe compnenets. A few light and responsive ride.

Back