Any interest in PPG Waterbased formulas for Schwinn Colors?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I spray PPG waterbased paints at work. And I have a new to me Schwinn Fastback that I want to strip and repaint back in Campus Green. I know I can buy the paints in Sherman-William, but I am stubborn and want to use what I have access to at work. I can either find similar colors to the original Schwinn colors, or make them myself. Is this something that would interest people? I'd just need some GOOD examples of the colors on decently large flat panels to take readings of them with the scanner at work. Even a spray out card from some extra Sherman-William paint on a piece of scrap metal would work.

I still use DBC(my 8-5 shop doesn't but in my home booth, I still do). So you are looking for color codes? Just get the color chips out and tint to match. No different than matching a car. I still think waterbased is a crock. Clear is what has all the isocynates, not the base, but the clear is still the same?!?! Just another excuse to change booths and guns.
Sorry about the rant. If you have some specific codes you want, I probably have them in DBC/DBU from over the years, if you want to convert them.

Sure the color codes would work great. Hopefully the convert. I realize I can just pull the chips out. But that the moment I don't have a good example of the campus green I am after. As for waterbased, I don't wanna go back to solvent. Water is so much easier to work with.

Oh. I don't have the campus green(never had anyone want one done). I have the Ivory, violet,and coppertone. They will vary(as you know since everything isn't 100% the same) but they are close enough that if you spend the time tinting them to your job they will work.
*EDIT*
BTW, some others, years ago, tried using the sight gun(you know the one that breaks down the formula into color and how much of what), without any success. Not enough space to get an accurate reading on 1" tubing.

I bought the "correct" Campus Green rattle cans from Pete at Hyper-formance, but it came out more emerald than the bike was originally. It might have been something I did, but it might have been the color. Don't know.

Back