Any info on building a bike stand?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like someone built a bike stand during the RRBBO - or maybe showed off one they built themselves.

So I wondered if someone did build one if they could post some pictures of it along with some information on how they built it.

Thanks.

Well, wouldn't you know it. After I posted this I ran across a previous post by Tartosuc and he passed along this link showing plans for building a stand.

http://www.bicyclebikes.com/bicycle-rep ... plans.html

While looking at it I thought of another thing you could do on it. On the top pipe you could install one of those screw together unions and then losen that to swivel the end with the bike holder and just tighten it up at whatever angle you needed it.

Some of you may have other ideas, though, on how to whip one up, and if so, pass those along too.

Ive got one of those over-the-bed-tables from a hospital room that I plan to modify someday :D :D

Man, that would make a great stand. Wheels and everything - and they even come with locks on the wheels to keep them from moving once you get it where you want it.

Great idea.

and they go up and down with weight on 'em!! I stripped the top off and theres a metal frame so I can weld on it too...

the strap one seems like it would move around a lot and i don't have joist i can hang them off of

Thanks, Hugo. They had some great ideas on that site.

I especially liked the one made totally from plastic pipe - since it would be light enough to hang on the wall. If you used screw together fittings you could even disassemble it when you weren't using it.

Markm - one of those was made from an over the bed table.

I would think that whatever you built would need to be pretty sturdy.

It needs to not move at all and needs to be very rigid.

I can see creating one out of metal pipe and then bolting it to either the floor or ceiling or connecting it to a very heavy work bench.

You have to keep in mind that sometimes you really need to crank down on bolts to free them up or tighten them.

I'm going to run by Home Depot sometime and see what they have in the way of 1 1/4" pipe. I know they have some pieces that are threaded on each end but I don't know what lengths they come in.

So it may be that they have everything right there to build one - or you may have to get them to cut and thread some pipe.

The other thing is that you can change up the bottom of it - and use some T's and make legs going out in both directions (out the back and towards the front) if you need it to be super sturdy.

You can also use some of those screw together unions on the up / down pipe if you wanted to be able to unscrew them and break the whole thing into smaller pieces to store it out of the way.

So I will do some research and see what they have available off the shelf.

i like my $4 tie down straps :)
P1010100.jpg

here's mine

Something I threw together a while back. It needs a little refinement yet, mostly something to keep paint from getting scratched up, but I suppose some foam would cure that if you were worried about it.

By the way, that's my first trash pick bike, Grabbed it from the neighbors trash today, needed air in the tires and the shifter is cracked. I'm thinking a little epoxy and it'll be good as new. OK probably just be parts but it sounded good.

Back