Antiquing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if that's even the right name for it, but an old friend of mine way back in middle school used to paint little metal Warhammer figurines and he'd always finish them by painting this "antiquing wash" over it to make it black, then wiping it off to leave a sorta tarnished weathered look. I was at three different places and the closest I could find was a wood varnish thing. Anyone have any idea what I am talking about or where to look?

Hmm... I don't know for sure but maybe your are thinking antiquing wash is an actual "product" when I have known it always just to be a painting method. For example, just recent I had some stone Lionhead door knockers that I found for really cheap and I painted over them with a rusty black/brown color first, then went back over them with a gold/bronze metallic paint (after the black/brown dried) and then immediately wiped the figures off so that the gold/bronze would only lay in the cracks and crevices of the figures. They ended up making really sweet book ends for my bookcase.

Anyways, I just know it as a technique and google searching it only came up with the same.

The way I do mine is to paint it with a color close to it, then while paint is slightly tacky black it out using a kerosene lamp turned up high so that it covers it in black, let paint dry then rub off with steel wool. It darkens most colors and yellows white. 8)

below are some puctures of my bike that i antiqued:

DSC03393.jpg

DSC03400.jpg

Latest posts

Back