Antique toy car

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this. It's OLD, I know that, it's two pieces, solid steel castings, held together in the middle by a screw. No markings on it that I can see..Anyone have a site or know somebody who might know something about it?

012kv.jpg

013fx.jpg

014gqv.jpg

My aunts have a few of those. They used to play with them around 1930 ish when they were children. They have a motorcycle with a side car and riders. A car like yours, and a few trucks. I cant give you any more info than that unfortunatly but there are sites out there with info on them. Ill share if i find the link again.

bits n pieces said:
My aunts have a few of those. They used to play with them around 1930 ish when they were children. They have a motorcycle with a side car and riders. A car like yours, and a few trucks. I cant give you any more info than that unfortunatly but there are sites out there with info on them. Ill share if i find the link again.

I'd certainly appreciate any info you could provide. This was a toy my grandpa had picked up, God knows how long ago..He died November 2nd, and my dad gave me the toy. I'm just curious as to how old the thing is.

cant help you on the date for sure but the guy that replaced our sidewalks last summer dug up a couple old toy cars like yours along with a half dozen marbles, said hed found so many laying sidewalks he started collecting them and he seemed to think they were from the 50s, but they were both an open top race car sorta thing. said he also finds tons of jax, toy soldiers and happy meal toys too :lol:

i dont know if he knew what he was talking about for sure though

I am no expert but it looks like a "made in china" reproduction made to look old.

The usual tip off is the bad gaping seam down the middle (and a metric screw)...original early cast iron toy quality was alot better.

Enjoy it anyway.I collect cast iron motorcycles that I know are repro's but I antiqued/rusted them to look alot older than they are.

Try looking up Hubley or Arcade. They both made diecast cars/toys way back, but I'm not sure if this would be in their time frame. If this is an original, I'd say 40s on back. But along with China, Japan and other countries reproducing them, alot of guya have cast their own over the years. Contact Gotavan (check members list) he does castings and collects old toys. He may be able to help you. I dabbled a little bit in collector toys a few years back but nothing in this area of cars, most were newer. Good luck and keep us posted!

MagicRat said:
I am no expert but it looks like a "made in china" reproduction made to look old.

The usual tip off is the bad gaping seam down the middle (and a metric screw)...original early cast iron toy quality was alot better.

Enjoy it anyway.I collect cast iron motorcycles that I know are repro's but I antiqued/rusted them to look alot older than they are.

I dunno, you might be right, but I'm thinking this thing really is old. For one, it's HEAVY, and it's all solid, maybe its iron, I don't know. The heft of it makes me think it isn't modern steel. The screw, is a flat head, and there really isn't a "bad gaping seam" down the middle...The castings are just so thick it looks that way. If it was made to look old, whoever did it was pretty convincing. Also, I know my grandpa had it, among other toy cars, for at least a few decades.

Those original cast iron toys date to the 20's, They have been reproducing them since the 50's

That has made in China look to it. Most original cast iron toys are well marked on the inside,and they are riveted together usually, unless they have been repaired. the wheels are another give away, very poor casting.

Latest posts

Back