Another Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So building a stretched cruiser piece by piece comes to be 3x as expencive as buying a "complete" bike.

Here is what Im looking at

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/defaulth ... r%3D490012

Here is my question, I assume it comes with coaster brake, which I dont want. Im interested in a free wheel so I could peddle backwards while cruseing...so should i just purchase a 24" free wheel, 140 spoke?...at the same time I plan on upgrading to a 26" wheel down the road, will it look to funky with a 26 on the back and a 24 on the front? Now it says It has a 7" crank, I want to order parts from the get go to make it "my own" ... I want to buy a diffrent crank but Im not sure what Im looking before because they dont have "7inch Cranks" they have like 46T etc. so what is equivalent, or dose it matter how many teeth the crank has? I want a bigger crank for a better ride. What do you guys think , any positive or negative feedback on the choice Im gonna be happy with, just curious about the wheel question and crank. I hope to place an order in the next few weeks but I want all my bugs worked out before I place my order. Will the fenders fit that come with the bike? Its a 24" if I order a 26" extra tire (free wheel) will the fender still fit? I wish they gave more info..but they dont lol I probably have more questions but Ill ask em when they come up.

Also, what kind of brake should I run with the free wheel, Im assuming I want a free wheel, I want the kind of wheel you find on a bmx you oculd peddle backwards and nothing happens :D .... At the same time what tire is a white wall, and I dont know what kind of thread it has if I was to match it to a 26 :(

Well, I think your post is a little confusing... :? Either way, You will have to use coaster brake on that frame. Unless you are going to add brake boss mounts. If you go with a 26" you will need a 26" Fender. The Cranks, 7" will give you more leverage than say a 5" crank. 44T would be easier to pedal with 7" crank, but, personaly I would go with fewer teeth. A big toothed sprocket with give you a higher end, but, will be a little harder to get going. Yes, it is always a little more money to build a bike, rather than buying complete. But that way you get exactly what you want!

dang we sell the kustom kruiser stretch for 299.98. ask keoki how it all snowballs when you start building a bike lol. have you ridden a stretch yet? anyways to get around your brake issue you could use a double crown fork with a disk brake setup

Someone in this thread says it's three times as expensive to build your own...

Well, yeah. I bought one of the "Slick Daddy" variety to begin with, and it was COOOOL.... for a while. Then the wheels in your head start going, and first it's "APES.... gotta have APES", then "maybe a wider rear wheel to make that rear tire FAT", and it continues to snowball, and before you know it, you've blown all your cash.

No complaints on the bike, but it helps me not to think about the amount of money put into it. I still have the last roll of the snowball left. Something to do with color... Love the orange (hence its' name.... Stretch Orangestrong) but the paint on these from the factory is REALLY poorly prepared, and if you sneeze at it, paint leaves. I have chips from so many VERY MINOR incidents, it isn't funny. (And I am very careful!) :shock:

So I guess it can be expensive to build your own... Someone else said it depends on where the parts come from too, and I am working on one of those also, just not a stretch frame.

Here is a shot of "Stretch" after the fever hit:

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Pawel said:
neat! really cool love the apes haha wonder how it rides like that.

It is actually VERY comfortable. This bike has been ridden more than anything else I have (but another is closing in fast!) and it is just too easy to get along with. It had a 3 speed originally, but as been replaced with a 7 speed Nexus with a coaster brake. The front disc makes it a quick stopper, and sitting on it is a lot like a comfortable chair... or maybe drum throne would be a better choice. (Did that for years.)

As the bike sits low, so is wind resistance. With the 7 speeds, the 54 tooth front ring is still VERY manageable in low for those extreme Florida grades (Huh???). :lol:

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Latest posts

Back