another paint question, make it stick.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've been out of the loop for quite sometime....computer issues. Well, I've been stripping some projects and getting them ready for paint, if springtime ever makes here! Last summer I spray-bombed a flat black project. Looks pretty good for my first attempt. My problem is, the paint seems to scratch off very easily. I then purchased some clear coat spray hoping that would help, but it really didn't seem to.

My question is this; how can I make it hold up better?

Hey aluv,
This topic comes up all the time on here. You'll find a ton of posts regarding technique/paint brands/etc...

I find that if I apply etching primer first (the stuff smells), then a coat (or more if needed) of regular 'build up' primer before color, it helps a bunch. I usually lay on 3 coats of clear after color for a 'shell'.

Good luck!
Cheers!
Dr. T

yep, just one. the rest of us are waiting for the answer too! :lol:

Couple things come to mind:
1 Make sure the surface you are coating is clean dry and if not bare metal at least scuff the old paint
2 Prime clean bare metal with etching primer, if rusty use a rust converting primer (rustoleum primer for rusty metal) (in either case: 1 light coat 2 medium coats)
3 Coat it with hi build primer (1 light, then 2 medium)
4 Paint it the final color you want, 1 light coat followed by 2 medium coats
5 If desired clear coat it to give it more durability, once again 1 light coat followed by 2 medium coats

Work in a warm environment with plenty of airflow
Be sure to allow plenty of dry time between each step (your individual paints/primers should say on the label)
Lightly sand between each step
Use a clean tack cloth to wipe down parts after sanding
BE PATIENT AND TAKE YOUR TIME

Good luck
Alan (someguy83)
PS This comes from a spray tech that works with industrial coatings daily

Back