Another Heavy Duti build... Headbadge mounted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that frame cleaned up nice (well, not like it was some rusty old Colson to begin with), like that powder blue. JMHO, dark blue scallops w/ gold pin stripes... that or splats of contrasting crimson red and name tag "Road Killer":eek:

Really like your Heavy Duti build, been following it from start to finish. Thanks for posting a link to those bars. Never thought about bars from the ATV, motorcycle, moped..... worlds before.

One thing I have run into, is that for about a year, I only rode a fixed gear bike.

Now I'm hitting roots and rocks with my pedals, because I'm constantly pedaling. Almost like I'm forgetting I can coast.

Either that, I need shorter cranks;)

Steering is fine on twisty trails... The trail I went down is definitely not a bike friendly trail, Very narrow...
The small block tires pack up quickly with mud.

Some thoughts on cranks....
-once you recall that you can coast, you'll be glad you have long cranks. I love me some longer cranks, especially on bikes that I ride trails with, and/or on bikes that are arguably too small for me. (If you wish you had a layback post, I suspect the frame might be a bit small as compared to what you might fit on a mtn bike...) SHDs have a BB height that's a bit up from a lot of trad'l 26" cruisers. I'd run at least 175s on it, if not 180s. FWIW, I run 180s on my trailed-out Worksman INB, and I'm quite glad that I do.
-shorter cranks will actually heighten the gain ratio, and long cranks will shorten it. In effect, using longer crankarms is like running a smaller front sprocket, or a larger rear sprocket.

Last edited:
It has 175's on it now...
Still hitting a lot of stuff with my pedals...
I can't imagine 180's...

I'm going to keep the ratio 42/19 for now, and just chalk it up as me being out of shape...;)

Back