Another Crusty CWC frame a.k.a the best!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the crusty CWC frame I had posted in the Bike How-To forum with the previously bent left dropout. I am not sure of the year but the serial number is A37591. After tweaking the dropout back, I noticed in the sunlight the outline of scallops near the head tube. I busted out the super fine steel wool, rust eating gel, and some elbow grease. Here's where I got to before I was called to do some work around the house :wink:

Before:

ratbike4065.jpg

Some work:

ratbike4064.jpg

More work:

ratbike4068.jpg

Where I am now:

ratbike4066.jpg

ratbike4067.jpg

Must be Navel jelly you can get it at the hardware store , cool scallops !

It is called Permatex Rust Dissolving Gel. It's kind of a pinkish colour with a sweet smell to it. Lightly rubbed in all directions with fine steel wool, it melts the worst of the rust away. I wish I could get through all of the thicker rust without my Dremel.

Looks great, not crusty. I wonder if you can date it by that original paint job.

My calculation would be 1946-47. It is post war and CWC started using the seat post clamp with annular ring in 1948 which yours does not have. I have a 1946 E and a 1947 C so your A would fall somewhere in between, It's amazing what is underneath all the rust - nice scallops indeed. Have fun! Robert

If you repaint the frame, you should preserve the original scallop design. It's looks really neat. Gary

After a couple of nights of rubbing with the gel and very fine steel wool this is where I have arrived. The brazing through the paint looks killer. Now whose squirreling all the 3-gill tanks? I need a couple. :)

ratbike4072.jpg

ratbike4070.jpg

ratbike4071.jpg

I am not too sure how much more of the original blue paint will come through. Definitely going to put several coats of clear on this to preserve the scallops and patina.

Back