Another Aussie...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get the Southern Hemisphere numbers up.

My name is Nate and I call Melbourne home. I have a number of cruisers, mainly Dyno's and some stretch pedal scrapers.

I love this forum and get stuck on here for hours. Love seeing the lengths some people go to build a bike. Wish I had a quarter of the skills I have seen.

Currently have 2 pedal scrapers in the build and an Aussie brand Malvern Star Skidstar.

Did some "creative" frame mods to a stretch over the weekend so it would take a 24x3" rim... Not a bad result. The frame was a bit twisted to start with, however considering the punishment it will get I am not overly worried.

Mock up:

hyhu5equ.jpg

a6amahub.jpg

Now I just have to find an offset sprocket so I can put a chain on the bloody thing...

Cool looking bike! 8)

I don't know where you could find an offset sprocket over here, maybe have to order from the U.S? If it was me, I would offset a standard sprocket to suit, do you have the tools and skills available to you?

Luke.

Edit: Just realised that may have come across wrong... What I am saying, is if you don't have the tools and ability to modify your own, maybe I could help?

Hey Luke.

Been looking for an offset sprocket but have not found one that's been in stock.

Didn't even think about modifying one, certainly don't have the skills but willing to have a crack.

What's the best way to approach it?

Nate

I have been thinking about it for a while, and figured you could maybe use a bit of 3 or 4 inch diameter pipe, cut to the length you need to offset, weld it to the chainwheel after cutting off the excess and weld whats left to the other side...

DSC00153 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

That is off course assuming you are using a solid disc type chainwheel. If using one with spokes the same could be done with bits of flat bar, or do the same pipe method and cut the excess pipe between the spokes out when done, this would make sure it all came out even...

If using a spoked chainwheel the neatest would be to build new offset spokes for it, the hard bit would be getting it all lined up when your done, carefull checking and planning would make it easier though...

Of course you would need to make sure your crank arm will clear the widened disc or you will be modifying them too... Still can be done! Worst case scenario you could widen your bottom bracket, but that is a lot of work, just finished doing that on my Cadillac build... :shock:

Be interested to see what you come up with...

Just realised, I was assuming you had a 1 piece crank set, but looking at your pics, is that a 3 piece bottom bracket? Same ideas will work in either case, you may be able to get away with smaller diameter pipe if it is 3 piece though (no need to clear the chainwheel drive pin)

Luke.

Yeah Luke, rocking a 1 piece crank. I want to offset the sprocket on the coaster hub. Thats where the problem is coming from.

Now just have to find the elusive offset sprocket.

Thanks for the thought out info.

Cheers Nate

Back