Amish girls on full sized scooters?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I saw these Amish girls on some bikes, looked to be 26" turned into scooters. They looked rad. Are these custom made, or was I tripping?

I used to live right around the corner from one of the Amish scooter manufacturers, Groffdale Machine Company in Leola, PA. They're hand made by Amish people. They're even used by Amish volunteer firefighters to get to the station. This sign is right near Bird In Hand Fire Department.

scootsign.jpg

I almost forgot about this ... I donated a firefighter's scooter to the Bareville, PA Fire Department Auction when I had my LED lighting business there in PA. I fitted it with wig wag lights and a polished stainless #1.

fscoot1.jpg

fscoot5.jpg

Are those Amish made scooters for sale? It looks like they take old bikes and modify them into scooters.

I'd guess that the scooter allows them to "preserve their modesty".

Interesting. I bet they are all black too!

Ghosteh said:
I'd guess that the scooter allows them to "preserve their modesty".

Interesting. I bet they are all black too!

No, they ride red, blue, green, just your primary colors. Go to Lancaster PA or another Amish community and you will see a lot of cool things.

I have heard of them called "kickbikes" or "footbikes"-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&suge ... a=N&tab=wi

I do kinda admire the mechanical simplicity.

The ones with dual-big-wheels are the best-rolling, but are bulkier and not many places sell them,,, though building one would be a snap.

Owners online say that (in general) kickbikes work better than you'd think, but they definitely use different muscle groups than a regular bike. In Europe, most major bicycle randoneering events have a kickbike class you can enter under, and the most-fit people on kickbikes beat most of the people riding regular bicycles.

You can find them for sale here http://www.lappscoachshop.com/wagons-scooters.html
Hate to tell you, but I own just as many scoots as bikes, right now....There is a whole "scooter" world out there. Companies have tried for years to popularize them in America, just haven't been successful, yet. These things can be such an unbelievable workout, if you take it to the extreme. They are less stressful on the knees, then running, but at the same time build all your leg muscles. The most I've ever done on one is 10 miles. They are VERY popular all over Europe. This is what I'm planning for my next build.
kickers28.jpg

The basics for a good scooter is: Light weight, quality bearings, high pressure tires and footboard as LOW as you can get it. I have several and you can't believe what a difference even what one inch in height can make.

This one I sorta customized. It has since changed, removed fenders, light and rear rack.
003-15.jpg

KOTA said:
Hate to tell you, but I own just as many scoots as bikes, right now....

Since you just outed yourself as the expert :D I want you to tell me the advantage of bigger wheels since you won't be pedalling them. Is it only the ability to smooth out the road like big wheels do or is there something I'm missing? How about a 29er scooter or a 36er!!! When I was about to go into 6th or 7th grade the new Walmart in town hosted an Oreo cookie stacking contest by the Nabisco company or whoever mades Oreos. In a time limit you had to stack Oreos, a girl contest and a boy contest. I stacked 30 Oreos in the time and took home a Chips Ahoy themed scooter. Had the 10.5" spoked wheels with white discs over them. Blue frame, white running board, brakes. I stripped all the Chips Ahoy cookie decals off of it and rode it till it screamed. I loved that thing and beat it mercilessly. Now, I know a 16" wheel would smooth it out, and a 20 would do even better, but is there a point where there's no longer a point to go bigger diameter?

You've got me all nostalgic, I need a scooter now!

I still remember the day I retired the scooter to the pile of garbage going to the dump, I was a teenager and it was a really hard goodbye even at that time.

Well first of all, I'm no expert, but I have been following these for a couple of years. They just fascinate the heck out of me. :lol: I'd hate to tell you what that scooter would be worth today. :lol: there are a lot of collectors out there.
Bigger wheels vs smaller. It's a matter of opinion. One theory is the larger front wheel can give you more forward momentum, smaller rear, less likely to hit it with your "kicking" foot. BUT, the larger wheels can be harder to kick uphill. There are some HIGH end scoots out there that use only 12 inch wheels, with very high quality bearings, and tires that inflate to over 90lbs....So it gets to be a personal opinion. Most "Pros" use 28 inch or 700c. Some use the big, small combo. Some use the big, big combo. I've seen some that are all carbon fiber frames....Then there are the down hill scoots, HIGHER footboard, MTB tires, with suspension. Footbikes will never be as popular as bicycles, but you'd be amazed at the "world" wide following these things have.
Check some of these out:
http://www.iksaworld.com/news/photo-new ... -large.jpg
http://scootersport.files.wordpress.com ... -geel1.jpg
http://www.englishcycles.com/bikepics/jd/jdscooter.htm
http://www.the-vu.com/2005/05/exion-scooters/

Then there's also DOG scootering. Using one or a team of dogs to pull your specialized scoot like a sled.
http://www.kickbike.com.au/sled-dog-racing.htm

Like I said, NOT really popular in America...But everywhere else. Are they easy to build, sure. But like building a bike, a QUALITY one can cost you some cash. :lol:

On those scooters... wow... just WOW! :shock:

I'm now thinking of just how cheap people sell 700c front wheels, the money is in the back wheels.

I'm going to build a fixie one so you have to pump all the time. :mrgreen:

To anyone who builds one. If you put a FRONT brake on it, which is advisable, do NOT ride (kick) with your hand on the brake lever. If you hit a bump you may have a tendency of squeezing the bars, and over them you will go...These things stop a lot quicker then bikes.

yoothgeye said:
KOTA said:
Hate to tell you, but I own just as many scoots as bikes, right now....

Since you just outed yourself as the expert :D I want you to tell me the advantage of bigger wheels since you won't be pedalling them. Is it only the ability to smooth out the road like big wheels do or is there something I'm missing? ....
Bigger wheels just roll easier than smaller ones, no matter how the bike is moved.

It's kinda funny to look at, but if you look around on Google you can see "racing scooters", built like high-end time trial bikes,,,, carbon fiber frames, aero rims, titanium components, ect. And probably NOT cheap.

DougC said:
Bigger wheels just roll easier than smaller ones, no matter how the bike is moved.

Larger wheels have more control at speed and handle any road imperfections much better....Did you ever see how fast and easily a Razr scooter rolls....Try hitting a bump or a crack in the road surface. Rolling resistance has a lot (everything) to do with bearings and tire pressure, not necessarily with size.

Latest posts

Back