AMERICAN PICKERS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
love watching AP but Im still really digging Pawn Stars more, you can definately tell its scripted from all the poorly delivered jokes written for them but its entertainng none the less.

Thanks for the letter about the show, I thought it must of been slightly scripted, but now that much! Oh well, at least it's good entertainment.

Does anybody know if that is Mike's full time job? I can't see how they can pay for their warehouse, van, employee, and gas with the relatively small profits they seem to make on most items. For exapmple, on the the latest episode where they drove to florida, they didn't seem to make nearly enough to cover the trip.

I've often thought the same thing about them needing more to pay the bills, but i think both guys are single and my guess is that they buy and sell a lot more than we actually see.

The History Channel is also paying for most of it too I bet.

i like A P a lot but I still think i like Pawn Stars better, and theres no doubt those guys are fed cheesy jokes left and right. i figured AP had to be scripted to some extent. theres no way a camera guy could be waiting inside a barn to film them as they come in without the owners knowing about it first.

and the $ thing, im sure mike and frank have to be making more off the show than what theyre making picking :lol:

I heard today that A P was here in Wichita and around Kansas last week. But, I guess we got to wait until next TV season to see what they found, heard they got signed for 23 new episodes.

hotfoot said:
Does anybody know if that is Mike's full time job? I can't see how they can pay for their warehouse, van, employee, and gas with the relatively small profits they seem to make on most items. For exapmple, on the the latest episode where they drove to florida, they didn't seem to make nearly enough to cover the trip.

That is his only job. Last I heard they don't make a ton off filming the show itself, at least not the first season. But Mike has had some amazing finds over the years that I have heard stories about. Stuff where one transaction pretty much makes his year. Think picked for a few hundred and sold for tens of thousands. I don't know if he'd ever put a pick like that on the show, it would make them look really bad, especially to the pickee, but I don't think picks like that happen very often.

One story I heard, he responded to a 1970s-ish classified ad he found for a motorcycle for sale and ended up buying a bunch from that guy. Who would think to respond to a 40 year-old classified ad? He's very creative and a hard worker and it has paid off.

Does anyone know when there will be new episodes on? I've pretty much watched all of the episodes at least twice which I'm sure you all did too. :lol:

I was talking to some local antique dealers and they were giving the scoop on the episode when they went down to florida and alabama. A lady came in told me that she new the guy from alabama and was telling me that the guy was told to find a barn and set it up so it would look like a great place to pick! She watched the show and was pointing out all of his antique store price tags on all the items.

Then 10 minutes later another lady came in and was talking to a gentlemen who would put any of those people on that show to shame with the amount of stuff he has. She said the guy called the guy in alabama and was telling him, "Why didnt you take those offers? Those were great offers....you're an idiot!" He also said " I wish they would come to my place....I'll sell them anything!"

I thought this was interesting!

hotfoot said:
a guy I know knows Mike and he has alot of rental properties I guess. He used to have a bike shop In Eldridge IA (I think) but it burnt down a few years ago but he was able to save the collection in the basement

I just got back from our scooter rally in LeClaire. Mike was actually around much of the time despite his recent fame. It's hard to get a word in edgewise anymore because now everywhere he goes people are mobbing him and asking for photos or autographs. My hope was to get a photo of him wearing a Rat Rod Bikes shirt, but it was too crazy this weekend. Maybe next time. I did get some good video though. When I have it edited I'll post a link.

Here's the video I put together last year. There's a little Antique Archeology in it, and some drunk dancing Mike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H9BU-QMMFo

xvespamarkx said:
I just got back from our scooter rally in LeClaire. Mike was actually around much of the time despite his recent fame. It's hard to get a word in edgewise anymore because now everywhere he goes people are mobbing him and asking for photos or autographs. My hope was to get a photo of him wearing a Rat Rod Bikes shirt, but it was too crazy this weekend. Maybe next time. I did get some good video though. When I have it edited I'll post a link.

Here's the video I put together last year. There's a little Antique Archeology in it, and some drunk dancing Mike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H9BU-QMMFo

great work on the video! i like the music

Latest posts

Back