Am I crazy for wanting to rust up a perfectly good frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fellow Ratsters,

Will the vintage bike Gods stike me down if i intentionally rust up a perfectly fine vintage frame??

It all started when i saw this bike on Chaingang Lowrider's website.:
RustySide3.jpg

I just think that looks cool as heck.

Problem is, I'm working with a nice Monark Silver King frame.

I think it'll come out super cool. i have a concoction of a witch's brew that'll rust it up in a couple days. I plan on first getting it down to bare metal, then spraying on the mix. Then I'd scotch-brite the surface to make it even, then clearcoat as in the above pic.

It just goes against everyhting we're all taught that rust is BAD, BAD, BAD!!

But I like it for some sick reason.

What does the Rat Collective say??

Spin

spinman said:
Will the vintage bike Gods stike me down if i intentionally rust up a perfectly fine vintage frame??

Spin

possibly, but no one here will. have fun!

I'm not into the whole intentional rust thing, but I think it might be a good idea to put a little red oxide primer over your steering head and bottom bracket joints.

I saw a really cool trick that might help you out . Its pinstriping with rust, and it looked nice on the model t they showed it on. they just penciled the stripes over a nice paint job ( like yours ) and scratched the stripes with a mat knife. Then they accelerated the rust for one mean looking strip job. Wish I had a link to show it, but if I find it again I'll post it .

Back