Aloha from ... Melbourne.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm new to the whole fascinating world of vintage bikes, and wow is it an experience. I'm currently studying in Melbourne, Aus where every other bike on the road comes with 21 speeds and more confusion than I can handle.

I'd love to be able to build up a bike one day, especially in the style of some of the boardtracker bikes I've seen on here, with the white tires and downturned handlebars (forgive me if my terminology is all wrong - like I said I'm new to all this and my only experience with these bikes has been this forum :p) but I've no bike experience nor any kind of tools to build one, so I will have to wait a while and build up my knowledge.

I caught a glimpse of someone's Electra Sparker, and found out this store in Melbourne does sell them, so I've decided to use my gambling money to get one! It'll be in this Monday and I can hardly wait. It's the older model with the black rims and grey satin frame, but I've seen a few bikes on here that have coloured rims, could anybody tell me where to find them/make them? If you check out the new Sparker on the electrabike website, it has coloured rims which appeals to me so much.

Alright, I will stop boring you all with my life story, and will post pics of my bike once I get it in.

All of you are insanely cool!,

Lots of love,

Calamity Jane.

Good to have you. This board has lot of good guys on it. It needs more females that are willing to get some grease under their nails. Before you know it you'll have like twelve bikes and your place will smell of paint and grease.

Next lot of RRB shirts may need a few pink ones in it steve. Lol.

welcome , my mom lives in babinda! she's a yank. if you see her say hello for me..lol glad to have you on.

Hey CJ,Welcome In!

Dont be 'scairt',before ya know it you'll find that building/customizing bikes is as easy as...uh...falling off a bike! :mrgreen:

Hi there!
Are Hellbourne Choppers still in business?
If you want coloured rims, I guess they could at least order them, on the other hand, painting rims is not a big deal.
You can even do that without unlacing the rims. I'd suggest to clean the rims with aceton or something. Next you should get some straws, make a cut so that you can put them over your spokes and use some masking tape to hold them in place.
After that you can praypaint your rims with some primer (if they're made of aluminum, be sure to get aluminum primer), let it dry and coat them with the color of your choice. Sounds like a lot of work, but it can be done in just one day, even with no experience at all.

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions!

Lucky13, I will try your rim painting suggestion in the middle of the night in some abandoned carpark so as to not make a mess! I live in a tiny apartment and well, making messes is generally frowned upon. Thanks for helping me out though.

Hi Jetro, I didn't know Hellbourne was gone, I load up their page everyday hoping that their "powered down" status would be changed to up and running! Now that I've LocoLowriders to go to though I'll definitely check them out once the bike is in. I live in Carlton, right near my "wonderful" uni, Uni of Melb. How about you?

Sweet, someone else in Melbs with a bit of taste! Good to have you on. Loco's is good for shiny new parts, but the best fun is making the stuff yourself as you will soon find out. Yeah, the Booze Cruise is mad, IF THEY DECIDE TO HAVE ONE!!! :lol: :mrgreen: Only jokin'!
But you will find some awesome stuff on this site, there are some very talented lads out there 8)

crackedpiston said:
Loco's is good for shiny new parts, but the best fun is making the stuff yourself as you will soon find out.

Cool that there are a few Melbournites :D

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a stripped frame, a wheelset and tires and then heading over to CERES to ask for help and for their tools and stuff. Plus they let you use recycled bike parts and it's only $10 for a year membership! Since BSC Bikes hasn't called me yet about a new Electra I guess building one up is the plan for now! Which is much more exciting, I have to say.

crackedpiston said:
But you will find some awesome stuff on this site, there are some very talented lads out there 8)

Definitely! I have spent many an hour trawling through the gallery with my face resembling both :eek: and :shock: . The builds on here are amazing.

crackedpiston said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is CERES????? :shock:

Don't fret, I only learned about them recently too. :p

"CERES (the Centre for Education and Research in Environmental Strategies) is a community environment project located beside the Merri Creek in Brunswick, Melbourne." - I lifted from their website http://www.thebikeshed.org.au

They have volunteers go over to teach people how to fix up and maintain their bikes. They have lots of tools there too but you have you use them all there and leave them when you leave. They get recycled bikes which they fix up and sell to people too.

Ahhh, I've heard about that place, I just didn't know where it was. I had ideas to go out there and try to piece together a road bike...... complete with rust and dints. I might actually get on it this weekend.

Thanks for the tip!

Jetro said:
Its just near the old brunswick velodrome track.

Calamity - do you myspace or facebook?

heya calamity
i know this is a bit late ... but welcome :)
good to see peeps using the older places for the building of the sweet rides!
hope to see u around the traps and perhaps instore on on a booze cruise ;)

frogg_y @ locolowriders

Latest posts

Back