almost done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philphine said:
i like it. it looks like something that could be in production.

lord knows he would have a buyer right here for unfinished framesets alone...custom paint as an option to boot would put him in the hurt-locker for sleep with all the orders. lord knows I'm looking for another to start building right now...hint-hint

I wouldn't mind building a limited production of this frame design to see where others would take it (I almost went red wheels , white walls and satin black on the frame), but it would have to be very limited because I have a lot of hours in just this one alone.

I just re-cleared the frame Friday at work so I will have to wait until Monday to start putting it together, but it won't take long because I assembled and pre fit everything before i painted the frame.I still need to find some bigger spikes for three spots on the frame. Maybe Tuesday.

Here's a few more pics of it going together . I'm still waiting on a different rear tire and I need to finish up the chain tensionor, hook up the shifter and move this one into the bike gallery.
almostdoneII003.jpg
almostdoneII005.jpg
almostdoneII001.jpg
almostdoneII002.jpg

I'm about 5' 10'' tall so I guess I'm average height. I rode this bike around the block before I tore it down for paint and it was comfortable and was easy to pedal, I'm pleased with the results on this one. It looks a little longer in the pictures.

Ahh kk pictures have a tendency to do such thingz...I also juuust noticed how you "filled" the tube ends to
very nice touch...Are the spikes from a leather craft type place? they looks imilar to what are used in leather work
for Dog collars and 'punk' leather atire and such...again nice touch too really adds that "pro" touch to the whole finish IMO...

Look forward to see it with the rear wheel in too...

KiM

Yes the spikes did come from the leather supply store in town, but the tube ends are kind of a cone/spike shaped acorn nut. I would still like to find or make spikes to match the rest of them only bigger to match the size of the tubes they would go in.

I bet your just like myself, whenever your out at a store and look at something you will think to yourself " i can use that in my project!" even if said object wasn't meant for any such use! Just like you have done with the spikes...simply brilliant!! I have seen fence "decorations" that would go close to fitting that larger tube, the type that slot in on top of fences to "deter" people from jumping them, you can get them in all type of styles but i have seen "pointy" types that would fit the "theme" might be worth a looksee into...Alternatively one you no-doubt would have thought of already, hit up a machine shop and get a custom alloy 'spike' made...

Best of luck anywayz....superb build.

KiM

Thanks for the nice words. I had fun building this bike(a few challenges but that just makes you more creative). And your right about looking at things differently, there's a recycle place I stop by pretty often and just look around for inspiration and it's kinda cool to give some of that stuff a new purpose.

Viking, I'm going to have a large engine lathe delivered to my shop in a month or so. I'll let you know exactly when but maybe I can make you some spikes for the frame tubes.

Later Travis

Travis-Thanks for the offer , if I can't find what I'm looking for I will take you up on that. By the way your build is coming together quite nicely,can't wait to color on it, color really does sat the mood.

Thanks Steve for the link to Firewalkers work- I'M VERY IMPRESSED and now you got me thinking. I like the width and comfort of this seat but I'm not sold on the racing stripe.

In my humble opinion.....everything on the bike looks custom and tricked out and then you have that Schwinn seat.

Murray can take that seat of yours and do some cool things with it.

Latest posts

Back