Agent Orange

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know right! Before I decided to add the lowrider springer it was only 9 feet 4 inches. That springer lowered it 3 inches and pushed out the front end 8 inches. I won't be doing any sharp turns but this is being built as a true beach cruiser since I have about 27 miles of beach to ride along here.

I never realized how hard it is to find a 3 1/2 inch pipe so I can french in the Caddi tail light. So I decided to make my own. I took a piece of 3 inch pvc pipe which just so happened to be 3 1/2 inches on the outside diameter. I greased up the pipe, so the fiberglass wouldn't stick to it, then I used fiberglass cloth and wrapped it up. I used cloth because it has a smooth finish. Then I wrapped it in a couple layers of fiberglass mat for more strength.

I'm also glassing a piece of wood that I'll use for the tail light to actually bolt to. This is a picture while I was removing it from the pvc tube. I know, it looks like a mess and probably doesn't make sense to you, but once it's finished you'll understand.

I never realized how hard it is to find a 3 1/2 inch pipe so I can french in the Caddi tail light. So I decided to make my own. I took a piece of 3 inch pvc pipe which just so happened to be 3 1/2 inches on the outside diameter. I greased up the pipe, so the fiberglass wouldn't stick to it, then I used fiberglass cloth and wrapped it up. I used cloth because it has a smooth finish. Then I wrapped it in a couple layers of fiberglass mat for more strength.

I'm also glassing a piece of wood that I'll use for the tail light to actually bolt to. This is a picture while I was removing it from the pvc tube. I know, it looks like a mess and probably doesn't make sense to you, but once it's finished you'll understand.

Makes sense to me! We did my Uncles mast tubes on his catamaran the same way...

Luke.

Makes sense to me! We did my Uncles mast tubes on his catamaran the same way...

Luke.
You guys made a mast like this? Man! This is only 7 inches long, I couldn't imagine making a whole mast this way. Very cool.

You guys made a mast like this? Man! This is only 7 inches long, I couldn't imagine making a whole mast this way. Very cool.
:21: No not the full masts! It had probably 50" long tubes that the masts slid down into inside the hulls, that was the ones we made. Masts were bought in, you can buy them cheaper than making them...

Luke.

The last couple parts needed to make this bike ridable should be here sometime next week. I hope so, I'm running out of time and it's going to take about 2 weeks just to paint it.

Truly Awesome!
Just thinking out loud, as good as you are with fiberglass, what if you did a double headlight? Take two small ones and mold the two together to resemble the headlight on the 58 impala or the vette? That is if you are running a headlight?
Great Job!

Truly Awesome!
Just thinking out loud, as good as you are with fiberglass, what if you did a double headlight? Take two small ones and mold the two together to resemble the headlight on the 58 impala or the vette? That is if you are running a headlight?
Great Job!
That's a great idea! Right now i'm just running a single headlight. I don't have time to build a double headlight before aug 3rd but that is something that I can do after BONINE.

Trust me, there is nothing scarier than putting a hole in your freshly finished fender.

Time for a test fit. A little sanding and it fits perfectly. I know, it looks like its going to be rocket propelled.

I had to cap the end first so I glassed an 1/8th inch piece of wood to it so the light had something sturdy to mount to.

Now the messy part. I had to glass the inside and the outside. Believe me, it's not going anywhere.

This is the first tail light I ever frenched in anything. I honestly can't believe that I managed to cut the hole exactly centered in the fender and got the light centered and leveled too. I did this yesterday, which happened to be my birthday, and my birthday wish was that I wouldn't screw this up. Well, guess what? Birthday wishes do come true.

Holy Jeez, this build keeps getting cooler!

I'll tell you what...when it's time to paint, break out the GOOD rattle-cans for this one!! :21:
Thanks noodle. I'll be borrowing a buddies paint booth. No rattle cans for this bike. I want the paint as shiny as possible so I'll have to use my paint guns on this one. Way too much to sand to use rattle cans.

Latest posts

Back