Adjusting your Sturmey Archer 3-Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... what a compliment ratdaddy!

There's no one else I've ever seen work his way around a sturmey quite like Bryn... that boy is crazy on them! I'll have to tell him you linked to his article, I'm sure he'll be really stoked! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(ps... I'm not sure I ever mentioned this, but Bryn is my hubby...) :D

Last night Bryn was putting on a pretty good,
verbal tutorial about The old Coaster Brake 3 speeds of the 60's

Right down to explaining about gears, brake set ups..

He knows his stuff,
and I found myself nodding my head and saying.."ah huh...ah..huh"
trying to keep up :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It was good to hear Tec Talk.

peace,
Kev.

does anyone know what would cause a sturmey to "drag" when ya coast? It doesnt coast smooth...

Could the chain or cones be too tight?

Don't forget to put a few drops of oil in it.

Vancruisers said:
does anyone knCone Adjustment

Cone adjustment on Sturmey Archer hubs does NOT work the same as on regular single-speed hubs! Repeat after me - DO NOT mess with the right hand *(drive side) cone unless you know what you are doing. The only time the right hand cone should be touched is during hub service. Then and only then adjust it as follows:

1. Tighten the cone finger tight until it bottoms out and won't go any further.
2. Back off a half turn and replace the lockwasher. Loosen the cone up to 1/4 turn more to get the lock washer to fit, NEVER tighten it.
3. Don't touch it any more!

The right hand cone adjustment also sets the clearances for all the 3-speed parts internally, incorrect adjustment will quickly savage your hub.

Now, on to the left side cone... A correctly adjusted Sturmey Archer hub should have very slight play at the rim. If you spin the wheel and the hub is 'grabbing' and turning the pedals or you notice the pedals turning when you push the bike then the cone is probably too tight. If there's excessive play in the rim then it's too loose. You'll know you've got it right when the hub operates smoothly and will freewheel for a long time but there isn't much play.

ratdaddy said:
Nashira,
Could you ask Bryn if a SA 3-speed would hold up on a tandem?

jeff

Hey Jeff,

I think it's going to depend what kind of riding you're doing. There were tandems back in the day that came stock with Sturmey hubs. I found this Italian tandem with what appears to be an AB:

413380853_e443953d80.jpg

For around city riding you're probably all good - just remember there's a lot more going on in there than a 'normal' hub. The newer Sturmey hubs seem to be holding out pretty good - I've been riding on my SRC3 and it's running beautiful. You definitely won't want a coaster brake hub so that takes care of the biggest problem you'd otherwise encounter (just thinking of a coaster on a tandem, that'd be a laugh!!).

Markm said:
does anyone know what would cause a sturmey to "drag" when ya coast? It doesnt coast smooth...

I'm with Larry above - check your cone adjustment...

Oh yeah, and I should mention you're better off being a little loose than being a little tight!

I think the hub on my '62 Raliegh Sport was taken apart
before I got it. It just will not get second gear. Ive tried everything
I can and I really dont think its even there. I think the the old man
who had the bike before me put it together incorrectly.....left
some parts/pawls out that are needed for it.
Very frustrating !!

Latest posts

Back