Adding room brakes to a '59 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I've got a '59 Schwinn that I usually ride with a coaster brake. I blew that out finally and all I have on hand to replace is a 6 speed hub. All bueno, but I can't stop now.

My frame has the flat fender mount and a caliper brake would need crazy reach to get to the rim. I really want to keep it 6 speed at this point just because I have the wheel already. In the end, cost will determine if I go back to a coaster. I'm DIY ready!

Any input is cool, thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230624_160438988.jpg
    PXL_20230624_160438988.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
The only thing I can think of that MIGHT come close to fitting would be a BMX cam brake, like the old Odyssey Pitbull. Those brakes do not come cheap!

pitbull.jpg

That frame was made for hand brakes. Here's examples.

1689077571668.png

1689077860280.png

The difference is they came with S7 rims, a normal 26" like yours is slightly smaller in diameter so it needs longer brake arms. They make long reach brakes but I'm not sure if they would work. You would have to measure the distance.

I made a plate to take up the difference on a different bike, but the same idea. It needed more space. I could adjust it up or down. Yours would be simpler, only needing one plate.
brake extension.jpg

Make a small plate that bolts up to the backside of the existing mount, with a hole drilled an inch or so lower for the brake to bolt up to. Yours doesn't need a lot of space, so a 2" x 2" plate would work. Two holes 1.25" apart vertically would do the trick. The top hole bolts to the frame and the bottom is for the brake. The metal would need to be strong enough to take the stress of the brake. 3mm would be a good thickness. Then a normal hand brake should fit.

1 brake Schwinn.jpg

Porkchop BMX sells long reach brakes. Called 1080s. I have used them several times to solve this issue. I believe tektro also makes long reach brakes. I find you lose a bit of mechanical advantage with long reach brakes. It seems long brake levers help. Might be my imagination though.

You can put rear derailleur on there too. There is a cable stop that screws into that hole in the front of the dropouts.

I find you lose a bit of mechanical advantage with long reach brakes. It seems long brake levers help. Might be my imagination though.
its just a straight leverage principle, the pads are now further out on the arm, even though only 10-20mm, more pressure on the lever to get the same pinch power! its not a lot but as you said, noticeable to some!

Bigger pads will help too. I used a pair of longer pads from v brakes and got more stopping power.

brake extension - Copy.jpg

Hello!
I've got a '59 Schwinn that I usually ride with a coaster brake. I blew that out finally and all I have on hand to replace is a 6 speed hub. All bueno, but I can't stop now.

My frame has the flat fender mount and a caliper brake would need crazy reach to get to the rim. I really want to keep it 6 speed at this point just because I have the wheel already. In the end, cost will determine if I go back to a coaster. I'm DIY ready!

Any input is cool, thanks!
Make and weld a bracket like this or use clamp ons for canti's.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    838.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 0
  • machined brake clamps - Copy.jpg
    machined brake clamps - Copy.jpg