About a Schwinn Stingray...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some stuff about stingrays

Great quality, i mean top notch
chrome always shines up
ride great
expensive!
When I bought my 76 and converted it to stick shift, I paid alot, but it is the best bike I ever got

My first bike was a red Jr. Sting-Ray (approx. 1977)
My second bike was a yellow Sting-Ray (handed down from my older brother sans banana seat and original grips) 1982
My third bike was a Rampar BMX (Stolen-1984)

I then entered a down-period where I didn't own a bike until this past June.

My fourth bike is a red '75 Sting-Ray....

8)

All of the above were/are single-speed coaster brake models. I always wanted one with gears and a stik-shift; but since I can't buy one.....I'm going to build one.....with a few "personal touches" that make it a unique machine.

I can vouch for the quality. I got mine on Cragslist,and it still had the original non-slik rear tire on it.....the first thing I did was put air in both tires and started riding it. The second thing I did was clean as much of the rust off as I could. That was mind-bogglingly easy,because of the quality of the of the chrome.

Then I started some small tinkering; and that's when all of the memories came flooding back. I remember buying a replacement tire for the red one sometime around '79 (too much skidding :p ) and I of course,bought the slik.

IIRC; it cost me around ten bucks.

I wish I could get one for that now.

My '75 is the same color red that my first one was; and I'm honestly torn about whether or not to keep it that way.I'm not on a mid-life (b.s.) nostalgia trip; but it's such a cool color....

blackdiamond said:
Wellfor the past few weeks i have had a repeditive dream...

that i am riding a Electric Blue Stingray i what i think is 1971 due to the cars and styles...

But i was not even born until 1995....so this dream is a time capsule...

Now to find that stingray
i was born in 95, and i still think of how cool it would be to have a bright white cotton picker, or yellow stingray. but they have to be those colors on those bikes. i keep hoping to find a bratz bike for dirt, and make one out of that. . .no luck

I read the folowing comment about old bikes a long time ago and saved it. I think it relates to your stingray quetion

“Much of the old “Schwinn quality” we hear about was simply quality assembly. Like most of the bicycles produced in the United States in the 1960’s the Schwinn’s were an conglomeration of farmed out parts from component suppliers like Bendix, Matatuck, Goodyear, Persons, Ashtabula, Sturmey- Archer etc. And Schwinns’ perceived durability was a product of good initial assembly of these components onto their frames. While most other companies routinely sold bikes in unassembled form, Schwinn always sold their bikes fully assembled and tested by store mechanics. A bicycle with good initial assembly would always last much longer than a bike assembled by “dad” the night before Christmas - with an adjustable wrench.

Those non- Schwinn bikes that had the good fortune to be sold out of bike shops (and assembled by mechanics) tended to have good durability too. A poorly assembled bike will not last as long as a well built one - no matter how good the individual components are - Schwinn was smart enough to realize this. Non -Schwinns often had exactly the same components found on the Schwinn bikes. If Schwinn had sold unassembled bikes in cartons (like their competitors) their survival rate would not have been very good either. If a bike didn’t last you can blame poor initial assembly and non-maintenance for its demise, not the quality of the individual components used.

A Sturmey-Archer or Bendix hub was good no matter what bike it came on; but, they would last longer if they were installed by someone who knew what they were doing. Schwinn did make bullet proof frames; but, other companies like “Raleigh” showed that up-to-date manufacturing processes and new lighter frame designs were just as good (if not better) than the ancient stand-by technology that companies like Schwinn could not move beyond. When Schwinn transferred production to Tennessee, quality assembly went by the wayside, and complaints started pouring in from their franchised dealers. Blame your dad if the non-Schwinn bike he put together for you on DEC. 24th didn’t last. But after all, he wasn’t a trained bike mechanic, and the night before Christmas was always a busy time.”

The first "StingRay" that I rode was a homemade one in 1965. 20" frame with balloon tires, solo polo seat, and apes. It was cool and I wanted one.

My brother and I got real Schwinn StingRays for Christmas that year. Mine was coppertone, his was blue. Both stripped down models. Both were stolen the next summer.

We got 2 new StingRays, courtesy of our insurance company. Mine was campus green, his was another blue one. Both of those were also stolen. Everybody loved StingRays, escecially the kids that lived on the other side of the tracks. :x

I had a paper route by then and replaced the Ray with a 26" Deluxe Typhoon. My brother got his third blue StingRay...which was also stolen. :roll: Insurance wouldn't pay anymore so my dad told my brother to go buy a bike at the police auction. He bought a blue Schwinn StingRay that had been messed with, parts switched, for $7. Turns out he bought back one of his stolen bikes. Serial number recorded by Schwinn dealer confirmed this. He got his $7 back. Gary

blackdiamond said:
wow, B607 thats a story....

Yeah no kiddin!

I was born in 83, always had bmx's once i was old enough to build them i did, just finally got my first old skool muscle bike 2 years ago its a 70's apollo deelite its a rat with a springer but I love it! deelites were sold by fred deeley harley davidsonm here in Vancouver BC in the 40-s till i think the 70's I havent dug deep enough into it yet.
But anyways I always wanted a stingray and this year I finally got it, an apple krate 8) now I got 3, a orange fastback and recently a yellow stingray deluxe 2 spd kickback. they all feel and ride a little different then one another but i absolutely love them! theyre a blast to ride I def aint done collecting them. I also got a 74 fairlady and a 72 stardust my girlfriend has kinda claimed them as hers lol

blackdiamond said:
Hmmm Kinda thought there would be more storys and old pics... :roll:

My mom has a pic of my sister and her best friend at the time on their almost-matching Schwinn Breeze bikes......when I asked her to find one of me on my Sting-Ray; she laughed and said I was never stopped on it long enough to take one!

I'm down at their house about once a week; next time I'll check and see if there's any she's forgotten about...

Dorian said:
This was written by John Brain. I still refuse to believe a cheaper made frame w/ pinch/flash weld droupouts, cheaper wheel hoops, tubed forks (flash weld) cheaper chrome plating and lesser paint quality are left in the hands of Dad to take the blame? It was built as a lesser quality bike from the get go. Sold cheaper and disposed of quicker. Yes, they shared a few bolt on parts ie: Persons seat, Wald bars etc. but in structure and quality..... no comparison. I personaly believe John Brain is way off on this one! Excuse my spelling as I can't find spell check on this forum (haha).I read the folowing comment about old bikes a long time ago and saved it. I think it relates to your stingray quetion

“Much of the old “Schwinn quality” we hear about was simply quality assembly. Like most of the bicycles produced in the United States in the 1960’s the Schwinn’s were an conglomeration of farmed out parts from component suppliers like Bendix, Matatuck, Goodyear, Persons, Ashtabula, Sturmey- Archer etc. And Schwinns’ perceived durability was a product of good initial assembly of these components onto their frames. While most other companies routinely sold bikes in unassembled form, Schwinn always sold their bikes fully assembled and tested by store mechanics. A bicycle with good initial assembly would always last much longer than a bike assembled by “dad” the night before Christmas - with an adjustable wrench.

Those non- Schwinn bikes that had the good fortune to be sold out of bike shops (and assembled by mechanics) tended to have good durability too. A poorly assembled bike will not last as long as a well built one - no matter how good the individual components are - Schwinn was smart enough to realize this. Non -Schwinns often had exactly the same components found on the Schwinn bikes. If Schwinn had sold unassembled bikes in cartons (like their competitors) their survival rate would not have been very good either. If a bike didn’t last you can blame poor initial assembly and non-maintenance for its demise, not the quality of the individual components used.

A Sturmey-Archer or Bendix hub was good no matter what bike it came on; but, they would last longer if they were installed by someone who knew what they were doing. Schwinn did make bullet proof frames; but, other companies like “Raleigh” showed that up-to-date manufacturing processes and new lighter frame designs were just as good (if not better) than the ancient stand-by technology that companies like Schwinn could not move beyond. When Schwinn transferred production to Tennessee, quality assembly went by the wayside, and complaints started pouring in from their franchised dealers. Blame your dad if the non-Schwinn bike he put together for you on DEC. 24th didn’t last. But after all, he wasn’t a trained bike mechanic, and the night before Christmas was always a busy time.”

bentsprocket said:
This was written by John Brain. I still refuse to believe a cheaper made frame w/ pinch/flash weld droupouts, cheaper wheel hoops, tubed forks (flash weld) cheaper chrome plating and lesser paint quality are left in the hands of Dad to take the blame? It was built as a lesser quality bike from the get go. Sold cheaper and disposed of quicker. Yes, they shared a few bolt on parts ie: Persons seat, Wald bars etc. but in structure and quality..... no comparison. I personaly believe John Brain is way off on this one! Excuse my spelling as I can't find spell check on this forum (haha).

Thats who wrote it, your right. I read that a long time ago and I saved it becasue it had some good arguments. I still think his comments about the importance of good assembly is right on the money. A schwinn frame may last a thousand years but the components won't last any more than the same parts on a different brand. most old bikes except schwinns came in a box, I got a Sears bike once as a kid and I remember my dad having a hard time putting it together. I got a Schwinn bike sometime after that and we picked it up at the local dealer already put together, I eventually wrecked the front wheel on it. I blame my dad for the lousy assembly of my sears bike :lol: He didnt know how but he tried, and I was too young to know how to keep it fixed. My old Sears bike is still sitting in my Aunts drive shed, her kids got it after I got my new bike, thats like over 40 years ago :shock: . what John Brain said about how old bikes shared many of the same parts but not the good assembly makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm going to go over to my Aunts and see about getting that Spider bike back lol. Pardon my spelling too.

Dorian

Dorian said:
bentsprocket said:
This was written by John Brain. I still refuse to believe a cheaper made frame w/ pinch/flash weld droupouts, cheaper wheel hoops, tubed forks (flash weld) cheaper chrome plating and lesser paint quality are left in the hands of Dad to take the blame? It was built as a lesser quality bike from the get go. Sold cheaper and disposed of quicker. Yes, they shared a few bolt on parts ie: Persons seat, Wald bars etc. but in structure and quality..... no comparison. I personaly believe John Brain is way off on this one! Excuse my spelling as I can't find spell check on this forum (haha).

Thats who wrote it, your right. I read that a long time ago and I saved it becasue it had some good arguments. I still think his comments about the importance of good assembly is right on the money. A schwinn frame may last a thousand years but the components won't last any more than the same parts on a different brand. most old bikes except schwinns came in a box, I got a Sears bike once as a kid and I remember my dad having a hard time putting it together. I got a Schwinn bike sometime after that and we picked it up at the local dealer already put together, I eventually wrecked the front wheel on it. I blame my dad for the lousy assembly of my sears bike :lol: He didnt know how but he tried, and I was too young to know how to keep it fixed. My old Sears bike is still sitting in my Aunts drive shed, her kids got it after I got my new bike, thats like over 40 years ago :shock: . what John Brain said about how old bikes shared many of the same parts but not the good assembly makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm going to go over to my Aunts and see about getting that Spider bike back lol. Pardon my spelling too.

Dorian
Hi Dorian, I just wrote a long response to this but unfortunately my pc burped and I lost it all :cry: What I am trying to say is if you build a house on a bad foundation.... it doesn't matter if you have the best roof money can buy, windows and even a shiny front door. All installed by the best. If the foundation is weak from the get go.... you best be buying some insurance! This would be my late night condensed version but you may get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

bentsprocket said:
Hi Dorian, I just wrote a long response to this but unfortunately my pc burped and I lost it all :cry: What I am trying to say is if you build a house on a bad foundation.... it doesn't matter if you have the best roof money can buy, windows and even a shiny front door. All installed by the best. If the foundation is weak from the get go.... you best be buying some insurance! This would be my late night condensed version but you may get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

Well, a house like a bike needs to be put togerther by pros and good parts if you want it to last. If one house last 500 years becuase its foundation is overbuilt and another lasts only 300 years then they will both outlast me. Old bikes all look the same quality when you see them at a museum. A model T ford had a frame that was built like a Abrams tank but I wouldnt say that it makes it a great frame except for lasting a heck of a long time. Schwinns had strong frames, so did all the bikes they used to make in the 1920's and 1930s. Schwinn probably never stopped making bike frames with the 1920s technology. Like Brian said those Raleighs were up to date in design and had up to date construction. I dont think you could buy a Raleigh in a box, they were smart like schwinns in good assembly. Maybe a schwinn frame will last 500 years, but all those parts that schwinn and other companies shared will die out at the same rate. All those old restored columbias, and Popes and Indian bicycles and Schwinns will wind up on a museum wall where no one will get to ride them anyways. Ratbikes are the future if you want to ride in style. you can always build on any surviving frame , original bikes will collect dust in museums eventually. Chrome can be redone and so can paint. Rat is where its at :D . ..................D.

blackdiamond said:
Ok... people...this is a thread for old storys and picture about the Schwinn Stingray...dont want anybody getten in an arguement... :lol:

Sometimes things get slightly off course, but it is Schwinn related. And as there was a response to my post here I felt it polite to respond with a reply :) .

Dorian

My aunt sold my spider bike in a yard sale 2 years ago :x

blackdiamond said:
Ok... people...this is a thread for old storys and picture about the Schwinn Stingray...dont want anybody getten in an arguement... :lol:
Nahhhhh, were not arguing just a couple members w/ a slighty different view on things. I ride Schwinn bikes and feel there is definately a reason why these bikes are one of the most known and collected bikes ever. In a 100 years (cause I will probably live way past that :wink: ) I will look at all the cool muscle bikes hanging on the wall and still wonder about those dang cheap drop outs on the other cool bikes? Yes, no one will be riding them so many will not be able to tell there is a quality difference. I 100% agree w/ Dorian on the rat bikes! That's where I find my fun and love nothing more than starting the project w/ a 50's Schwinn tanker as a base. I used to chase around a buy Schwinn Sting-Rays til' I was blue in the face.... not much anymore.

Back