A Tribute for Dad is delivered to a happy guy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The year was 1959 and a ten year old boy had been working and saving up his money to buy his first bicycle. He finds a used Western Flyer that is in his budget and he is off and rolling. It was far from perfect, the red paint was scratched up and rough looking due to the last kid who owned it. But he still loved his bike. He was heart broken one summer day when he was leaving the neighborhood pool and it was gone. A week later he went with his parents to pick it up from the Austin Police Department. The fenders and chain guard had been removed in an attempt to disguise the bike. But he still loved his bike. Once school started he rode it everyday because it sure beat walking uphill both ways everyday. Until the day he came out of school and it was gone again. The police would be of no help this time, my dad's beloved bike was gone for good. Or was it?

Fast forward 51 years.

I have decided to give my dad back his first bike. Not the exact bike, maybe more of a tribute bike to his first one. He has taught me so many valuable lessons in my 32 years. Hard work delivers results, take pride in what you do, take care of others and you will be repaid in ways you cannot imagine at the time, and so much more. I decided that this would be a great way to express some of my appreciation to him.

After spending a lot of time hunting for the right frame julesjunk hooked me up with just what I needed. It has been hanging up in the garage since early April and it is time to get started while I am waiting for parts to show up at the LBS for my RRBBO5 bike.

We are going down to Austin to visit towards the end of July and I hope to have it done for him by then.

82f8661a.jpg

I love my dad. He has been my hero for a long, long time. I cannot wait until he sees his first bike for the first time in 51 years.

Re: Bring back a first

What a nice idea and a great gift to your dad! Hope it turns out just like his old original bike! :D

Re: Bringing back the first bike

Wow!! What a great story. It would be really cool if you could drum up some old photo’s
of him with his old bike and then share the old vs. new photos with him and his new/old bike.

What you are doing is very cool!! Can’t wait to see this bike finished and his reaction! :mrgreen:

Well, the bike drew first blood. I was drilling out the fender brace rivets and the left over bolts from the reflectors and due to my own stupidity drilled into my own hand.
da680385.jpg

After a short break to stop the bleeding and eat lunch, I finished clearing the fenders. Off to see the powder coater this afternoon before work.

There you go show the bike whos boss. It may have won that battle, but i no you can win the war. LOL. Good luck.

amazing! i want to do the same thing with my dad, but his first bike was a fresh 1968 fastback in orange, with a coasterbrake. oh! maybe you should take the fenders off this one just to tease him. :p

In my line of work you make a mistake and you have a scar to show for it.

It just goes to prove how your one hand hates the other. I am positive my right hand hates my left hand because of all the battles they do leaving my left hand in blood and bandages and the right hand almost scar free. I said almost! I like the way you manned up with no stitches or bandages. Keep it clean, squeeze the puss out as needed, slop on a little peroxide and carry on my good man. You are the son I wish I had and I am certain your dad feels blessed to have you.

Kuttnhack said:
I like the way you manned up with no stitches or bandages.

I decided several years ago (after sitting in the ER for five hours only to get a butterfly on a cut and two Advil) that unless a body part has been removed by accident I will not be going to the ER.

The hand is really throbbing tonight at work, might have to call it an early night and head home to play with bikes.

Less than 25 hours after dropping the bike at the powder coaters I get the call that it is ready to be picked up. Good price, fast turn around, if anyone. Local needs a recomended powder coater I've got a guy for you. Just sucks that I was already at work today!

stand up thing to do but one problem...... WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?

Back