A Proper Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And some big discoveries;

If you look close, it does look like the was a metal head badge on this but the rivets are sheared off:
BF567F1A-6DD9-4249-A095-15B08FF0F519.jpeg

And…. Is this a serial number for 1930?

I found a 3 0
4BEDD10C-005E-4E10-BBE3-C7CF7327C248.jpeg
BE308164-A0A4-4524-A1CD-334A70E1872A.jpeg

Not sure you have the head badge? I have decals somewhere to
Thanks ingola! I think I’m good…. I can scab a badge off of one of my parts bikes…. If you don’t need the decals, I’ll take them, but I can get some off of EBay.

and I have pedals too…. It‘s all good…. If you’re looking to clean house, I’ll take whatever you don’t need or want.

I really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks ingola! I think I’m good…. I can scab a badge off of one of my parts bikes…. If you don’t need the decals, I’ll take them, but I can get some off of EBay.

and I have pedals too…. It‘s all good…. If you’re looking to clean house, I’ll take whatever you don’t need or want.

I really appreciate your help on this.
I've got so many parts off these much nos and to many Raleigh's as you've quickly discovered you can get these things for pennies. I'm more than happy to give my over stock away your frame have the pump mounts

And some big discoveries;

If you look close, it does look like the was a metal head badge on this but the rivets are sheared off:View attachment 231294

And…. Is this a serial number for 1930?

I found a 3 0
View attachment 231295View attachment 231296
I'm betting that there are more numbers beyond the 30. Looks like thick paint.
... I'll see if my wife shipped the box
Wait, what? Your wife is in charge of shipping? I need to have a department meeting with my wife. :21:

Wait, what? Your wife is in charge of shipping? I need to have a department meeting with my wife. :21:
When I ship to the states she's American and go across the border no problem that bridge costs makes shipping nuts. Plus then she knows my junks is leaving the house.

Last edited:
I'm betting that there are more numbers beyond the 30. Looks like thick paint.

When I get this thing prepped for clear, I’ll dig a little deeper. There’s definitely room for more digits

I was short on time today, couldn’t get any further.

I did read somewhere that Raleigh was pretty lackadaisical with serial numbers and for a long period of time, they would only stamp the bike with the last 2 digits of year of manufacture.

We’ll see!

When I get this thing prepped for clear, I’ll dig a little deeper. There’s definitely room for more digits

I was short on time today, couldn’t get any further.

I did read somewhere that Raleigh was pretty lackadaisical with serial numbers and for a long period of time, they would only stamp the bike with the last 2 digits of year of manufacture.

We’ll see!
Best way to date a Raleigh is with the decals I'm betting yours was painted find a hidden a hidden spot try some go gone the original paint may still be there

Best way to date a Raleigh is with the decals I'm betting yours was painted find a hidden a hidden spot try some go gone the original paint may still be there
I can see brush marks in some spots: I’ve looked to see if I could see a decal peeking through, but I haven’t seen anything yet

I can see brush marks in some spots: I’ve looked to see if I could see a decal peeking through, but I haven’t seen anything yet

Hmmm, car wash...

I like it.
I actually have a residential power washer…. It’s a pain to drag out and set up.

the coin operated wash is just around the corner from me and for $6 I can blast these things glittering clean.

I do bring my own degreaser and other cleaners for pre soak and use prior to blasting.

if I have a bike coated in grease, dust and dirt or am looking to get a bike super clean or do multiple bikes, the car wash is way faster.

Back