... a klunker called 'LABOMBA' ...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey - this isn't really 'rat', so I thought it would be better over here ....

10.jpg

... it started life as a '97 FISHER 'KLUNKER' ...

catalog02.jpg

... as it hadn't seen much use in the last several years & I have been pursuing 'singlespeed' projects lately, I decided it should be converted - I had an old set of wheels [no-dish] that would take a single freewheel, so that was the starting point ...

02.jpg

01.jpg

... the crankset was a single from a KONA PADDY WAGON that recieved a DURA ACE upgrade ...

03.jpg

... now a tricky bit - the frame has vertical dropouts, so a tensioner was needed - into the breach, a vintage CAMPY NR derailleur ...

04.jpg

... the chainline was very straight, but quite inboard - the travel screw had to be screwed in just about all the way - the short wire helps keep it tensioned ...

05.jpg

... in the back of my mind [addled as it is], I wanted to do a 'proper' conversion, so parts were ordered [I hate that] - I had originally wanted to use the original rims, which were Shimano STX - a freehub conversion kit & a PAUL 'MELVIN' tensioner soon arrived & we continued ...

06.jpg

07.jpg

... this provided an even 'nicer' chainline & the bike rode wonderfully - the setup was 42/16 & on the trails it was a little tall, but very ridable - the original tires were used, as well as the original cantilever brakes - some 'FREDDY' fenders were added & I was convinced the project was done - we all know the project is NEVER done - after a few weeks of riding, I thought I should provide some options to the gearing & decided to make her into a 2speed - utilizing the original crankset & some 42/36 chainrings it was done ...

09.jpg

... it is a manual shift deal - I get off & flick it up or down as required - works real well & will probably stay in this form for the winter - it is a great bike for TIM HORTON CHILI COMBO runs [cdn content] - my local is a very pleasant 20 min ride, both on & off road ...

10.jpg

... anywho, I hope this hasn't bored you to death - later doug

very nice! theres a GF Klunker on ebay right now. pretty cool bike

Looks like a fun ride. i was wondering about that derailer from you intro post.
When you say it is a manual shift that you flick up ar down, do you mean you actually move the chain from sprocket to sprocket with your hand? or do you have a makeshift front derailer?

When you say it is a manual shift that you flick up ar down, do you mean you actually move the chain from sprocket to sprocket with your hand?

No derailleur, just hop off the bike & yank the chain up or down - the down is very easy, the up requires a little more force - if you're not familiar with the 'MELVIN' tensioner, it has a LOT of tension, way more than your average derailleur - it keeps the chain very taut & in line - it is a little fussy to set up, but once done, it is great - doug

I like your version of a 2spd. One for the pavement and one for dirt without the need for derailer.

Back