A different kinda rat!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not really a Rat, but it sure has the paint job. This is my homebuilt Pocket Rocket Recumbent. It has 20 Maxxis Hookworm in the back and a 16 in the front. Top speed was 50 mph going downhill and about 30 mph on flats. I just hate how funky recumbents look, so mine have always been painted black. This one was the first to be flat black. My son rides this thing on a daily basis.

PocketRocketM.jpg

I see your Rollerblade wheel trick, but I also see another. Does the top chain route through a pipe? If so, is it noisy?

The top chain guide was made with a derailleur wheel and something from some kind of office machine. I don't really remember since I built this thing over 7 years ago. The tube is for inground sprinkler systems. $12 for a roll of 100 feet. I replace the tube once a year. It is surprisingly very quiet.

pipe?

Yes good old PVC- nylon? I know they ''rout'' chains this way on some production bikes. Always qusioned it but it seems like almost the only alternative wene using such long ghains. Pushing fowword always seemed to produce more torque. It seems more natural to direct your push or ''energy'' in the direction you are moving rather than twords the grownd. Does any one know what the heck I'm gettig at? The other interesting thing about recumbents is wind drag. Not an expert, but seems like keeping the mass low-helps aerodynmicly.I'm interested in more than just the bike look, but also how they feel & work, my friend --the profesioal bike man likes to say ''your body touches the bike in 3 places. I couldn't agree more but there seems to be a lot going on in between.

The only way I can explain what the kick is about the ride of this bike is like this: Imagine flying an F-16 at 12 inches off the ground. Cornering this thing at full speed while leaning it at 45 degrees, sitting down, is just one heck of a feeling! Nothing else comes close to it.

if you have ever ridden one of these you understand why they are cool and they are. i love that this is a homebuilt as production recumbents are insanly expensive in my opinion. and anyone that is willing to go 50 MPH downhill on a home built frame :shock: is a ratter in my book !

I pulled it out of the shed after over a year in storage, put some air in the tires and went for a ride around the block. For those of you wondering what it feels like to ride one of these, this short video will give you an idea. It's short, but I think enjoyable. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvUakbVAltE

DANG! 50 MPH?! Was it shakey? thats a cool bike man i want one.

i WANNA Ride one of them. Its going on my list
along with

A high wheeler, a rickshaw, and one of them peddle bike car things.

Back