a coupe d' Schwinn...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out scouting for bikes at a local flea market last week-end when I ran across a 1960's vintage Schwinn "Racer".... in almost perfect condition, for $20. It was 100% original... right down to the two-tone seat, handrips, and Schwinn marked tires. I would guess that it doesn't have 100 miles on it.... and it looked like it had always been stored inside.

The problem was that another guy was looking at it REALLY close, and discussing it with his wife. I pondered just walking up and snatching it out of his hands.... but that might have been a bit harsh or unfriendly. Since I'm a nice guy, (AND the guy was twice my size) I just hung back and watched to see if he was going to get it.....

As luck would have it, a rainstorm sudddenly came up.... and the guy who was pondering the bike ran across the aisle to an awning/cover about 20 yards away to keep dry. I could see him counting his money..... and getting wifely approval..... it was looking rather dicey for a few minutes.

Seizing the initiative, I braved the rainstorm, paid the vendor his $20.... and made off with the bike before it stopped raining! Sure I got soaked, and probably made an enemy for life... but I scored a FINE bike!

You know.... I really hate being a scoundrel, but we ARE what we are....

Ratfucios said: He who hesitates is lost. While you were at it you should have offered him $15! Post some pics, I have a 59' racer with a 60' tcw coaster brake, 3spd. hub. The wheels are from a raleigh. There's pics of it in the fresh find, back a ways. '59' schwinn dumpster find' is the heading, if I recall. I LOVE that bike. It's fast.
her's before:
P1010042.jpg

Here's what it looks like now:
P2010162a.jpg

Ej599..... your bike is exactly like mine, except mine is red and has chrome fenders. It looks like yours cleaned up pretty good. I love the lines of that particular frame. It's more relaxed than most diamond frames, so it rides very smooth. AND they are virtually indestructable. Those forged forks and induction-welded frames are probably the toughest ever produced.

I always have delimna when I find an old bike in good condition. I am torn between restoring it back to original, or Rat Rodding it into something cool and unique. Any suggestions?

Well, I'm an old guy in his mid 40's who has to excercise to keep my blood sugar down so I don't need meds. I ride between 4 and 10 miles a day almost every day on the airline trail. To date most of my bike acquisitions and projects have been to suit a desired style of riding. I have a '56 schwinn American with fenders and a rack that i use for riding with my family and for when I want to 'go heavy' riding. I was looking for a diamond frame by chance to build a bike I could fly down the trail with when I found my '59 racer. I'm gonna use R-U Experienced with it's small frame and tight radius to ride with my son in our driveway. I haven't modified the frames on any of these. My next project 's gonna have some unnecessary, aesthetic stuff on it, some cutting and welding but its a freebie girls mountain bike so who cares. But I would definitely have to consider vintage, make and condition before I altered even so much as paint.

Back