900 Lumen LED extreme bike light

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning: This conversion will be very obnoxious to your fellow riders and drivers :)

As a Christmas present, I was inspired to make a huge light for my dad's ratty black schwinn cruiser. I first went to Ebay and bought a 5.75" tractor light for $20. The light had a lot of rust inside so I took it to the wire wheel attachment on my grinder.

IMAG0422.jpg

Once I tore the light down, I realized it was using a old sealed beam light. The glass looked multilayered and thin so I wasn't confident about drilling out the filament. I decided to replace the bulb with a sealed beam H4 conversion kit that I bought on ebay for $10. The kit came with a cheap H4 bulb.

IMAG0423.jpg

Unfortunately the lens on the conversion kit was pretty ugly. It was also completely clear and wouldn't have dispersed the LED light very well. A lens transplant was necessary. I took a 1/16" tile saw and made a arbor to fit it to the chuck in my drill press. I also used a tape roll to rest the headlight on the drill press table. I had to have a friend spray water on the light and saw while lightly rotating it to make a score line around light and kept doing it until I cut through. That kept the glass from melting. Easy enough.

SA400003.jpg

SA400006.jpg

Once the lens transplant was complete, I needed to buy the LED hardware. I decided to buy a 900 lumen LED from deal extreme. Here are the parts I used:

Led: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/s ... r.87047508
Battery: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/s ... r.87047508
Controller: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/s ... r.87047508

At a local auto parts store, I bought a small metal toggle switch. At radio shack, I bought a size N male and female DC coaxial power plugs. I drilled two holes on the back of the light's housing to accommodate the switch and power port. I realized the H4 bulb that came with my conversion kit could be reused to mount my LED inside the sealed beam. I tore the bulb apart and glued the led on the front and the controller on the back.

In this picture you can see the controller, the LED module, the remnants of the H4 bulb, the switch, and the DC plug.

IMAG0465-1.jpg

After a little soldering, everything came back together pretty well. To test everything, I ended up using a 4.2v DC power adapter (stolen from a broken electric shaver) in lieu of the lithium ion batteries I bought. It provides about the same voltage as one li-ion battery. Once I build the battery pack, I'll post more pictures. My end goal is to make the light powered from batteries and charged with a cheap solar panel or wall outlet DC adapter.

IMAG0473.jpg

IMAG0470.jpg

IMAG0468.jpg

Wow the prices have gotten much better since I got any thing from them about 4 yrs ago. What did you set the current reg at ? I'v been using 180 lumen flashlights for the guts. was the shipping bad?

dscf2813l.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-10-01

nice job, can you post how the wiring is hooked up (diagram please) I have an old tractor ligth that I've been wanting to use.

Thanks.....

Back