85 GT MACH ONE (FINISHED 2-21-09)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Re: 85 GT MACH ONE

Wow that bike looks like its been bakein it the sun for awile. Is it gonna come to life with that Rat Rod detail job we all love to see?

Yeah...to really do this one right, the frame needs to be blasted and either painted or powdercoated and then some new decals installed.

Not sure how far I will want to go with it. The UKAI rims and SR hubs will clean up nicely and I have a sweet set of Sugino Mighty 3 piece cranks I could install.

I still have the chrome chain and the chromo BB from the Predator that will work great on this bike.

Just need a set of tires.

IMG_3518.jpg

ahh i remember mine from bitd. i miss mine, mach 1's were totally underrated, and didnt get the respect they needed.

The funny thing is...it's pretty similar to the Pro Performer I found earlier this year.

Wish it had the same parts though. :(

DSC_0002.jpg

Here's the tally so far...in order of finding...in their found condition.

All have been sold except the GT Mach One. Wished I would have kept the DB Formula One. :cry:

100_6383.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

DSC01129.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

this is the only one i've found that wasn't a ton of money. 1987 schwinn preditor. $1.50 thrift store find. put on a new chain, pedals, tires, grips, and cables.

l_d19273adb12408d04ce601f94b24afc2.jpg

I LOVE THAT HELMET ITS RADICAL I WANT TO GET A VINTAGE HELMET LIKE THAT SOMEDAY :shock:

I have what I think is an 86 Mach One with a metallic blue/gray color scheme. (with a few red lines) Did every year have a different color or could you choose from a variety? I will try to post pics later.

Each year had a few different colors to chose from.

Here are some more ads for 1985....

85gtads046.jpg

85gtbmxads037.jpg

85gtbmxads039.jpg

85gtads048.jpg

Gave the bike a complete overhaul this past weekend.

Cleaned and repacked all bearings in wheels, headset and crank with some Phil grease. Even managed to save the Suntour freewheel.

Threw on a new set of Kenda Kontacts and a new set of AME Tri grips.

The only bummer was that I had it all put back together and the last step was to install the pedals. Turns out one of the pedal holes on the crank is reamed out so much that the hole is too big even for a 9/16" pedal. :cry:

Still need to clean and readjust the brakes...need to track down a light blue cable housing and some light blue tie wraps.

At first I had thought about having the frame and forks blasted and powdercoated, but I kind of like this original weathered ratty look.

gt1a.jpg

gt10a.jpg

gt5a.jpg

gt2a.jpg

gt6a.jpg

gt9a.jpg

Ha Ha...you know what...I didn't even think about them being directional.

There's my doofus moment of the day. :lol:

Back