83 Schwinn BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Just picked this little 83 Schwinn BMX from a friend of mine pretty cheap.. I mainly bought it for the wheels and tire set but I'd figure I fix it up and leave the wheel on it.. Has the wrong stem so I'm the hunt for one that belongs to it and also going to straighten out the forks cuz as you can see they a bit bent.. Just do a complete resto.. should be fun..

To bad there not as popular as the one's now a days.. These should be the one's that should hold the higher value compared to the newer one's.. These are the one's that started the whole fame of bmx in a way..

You guys are spot on about Schwinn bmx! The first bmx I wanted, a 36/36, then scrambler, Dad came home with a SX1000, man was I stoked! From a Crate, to an MX, then a SX! In less than 2 years!
Yup, deserve more credit!

I'm loving my Scrambler, and I recall being jealous of other kids' Schwinns when I was a kid... Schwinn Stings were probably the first high-end BMX bikes.....

But, let's be honest: BMX, like the mtb craze, was another make segment that Schwinn coulda/shoulda owned, but failed to capitalize on. In both cases, entire genres of riding were created by zealous Schwinn owners who customized (typically) Schwinn frames for a new niche style of riding. In both cases, Schwinn made half-hearted attempts to capitalize, but was mostly content to rest on their laurels while other hungrier marques offered more highly evolved products.

Before anyone gets defensive, think about it: my 1980 Scrambler came with a kickstand. Nothing says "hardcore bmx" like a kickstand, right? o_O Schwinn's first purpose built mtb was the Sidewinder, which was basically a balloon-tired Varsity. It had a kickstand, too... and some fairly useless sidepull brakes. Keep in mind, mountain bikers had been removing kickstands and adding cantilever brakes to much older Schwinns for years by the time the Sidewinder came out. Maybe Schwinn could've paid attention?

Don't get me wrong; I love these old Schwinns, and I have a huge appreciation for the later Chicago-built Schwinns. I love the Scrambler I just built, and I'm definitely going to build a Sidewinder knock-off using a lightweight Schwinn frame (probably a Collegiate); not a priority, but definitely on my "bucket-list." But if you compare old-school Schwinn BMX with practically any of the big-name BMX builders of the era (Redline, Mongoose, etc), you can see how they dropped the ball. They had the name recognition, dealer network, and R&D capacity to have dominated BMX, but they didn't. It's not a tragedy or anything, but it's kind of disappointing.

Just picked this little 83 Schwinn BMX from a friend of mine pretty cheap.. I mainly bought it for the wheels and tire set but I'd figure I fix it up and leave the wheel on it.. Has the wrong stem so I'm the hunt for one that belongs to it and also going to straighten out the forks cuz as you can see they a bit bent.. Just do a complete resto.. should be fun..
there was one of these that was almost identical on my local Craigslist but ti was a 1973
the guy wanted 35 bucks for it i think the handlebars were a bit taller though but same color style even grips that's pretty cool i think it had a lucky 7 sprocket though
Sean

there was one of these that was almost identical on my local Craigslist but ti was a 1973
the guy wanted 35 bucks for it i think the handlebars were a bit taller though but same color style even grips that's pretty cool i think it had a lucky 7 sprocket though
Sean
'73? Nope. The bike in the OP looks to be a Thrasher, which is not a Chicago Schwinn. The closest Schwinn to that from the 70s was the Scrambler; they first came out in '75 but these earliest Scramblers were canti-framed--- basically a reinforced/stronger version of the Stingray frame. By 76 or 77, Scramblers were available with the diamond frame; some had curved sting-ray style rear triangles; others had straight rear-ends. The rear-entry track-ends and frame gussets appeared in the late 70s. I'm willing to bet your local Craigs had a late 70s Scrambler on offer, which at $35 would be a nice score..

Last edited:
that is possible the guy had the year wrong
i didn't think it was 73 either
Absolutely. I find that CL ppl listing a bike that's kinda old will exaggerate to make it seem older, and bikes that are kinda new are exaggerated to seem newer. Hence, a '79 becomes a "73", and a 2006 becomes a "2012"...:crazy: There's also tons of ppl who just don't know, although there's no excuse with most Schwinns, with the serial number cheat sheets and catalogs online....

Don't forget the King Sting 808- a year ahead of the Sidewinder and a light cromo frame. But the fuddy-duddies at Schwinn couldn't seem to decide if they wanted to be serious (Sting/King Sting) or go down the mass-market approach (Sidewinder/recycled hi-ten 20" frames) selling "All-Terrain Bicycles," though I suppose they might have been a little gun shy to use the term 'mountain bike' after having to change the name of the California Cruiser and the Klunker 5 just a couple years before as the Marin County boys were selling under the brand name Mountain Bikes.

BTW- I have a Sidewinder frame for you I'd be willing to part with. I was gunna build it into a board tracker but then I'd have to lose the beer gut :(
The lightweight frames won't take more than a 1.75 in the rear, at least the early frames like this '53. Can't really see it in this pic, but IRL it looks funny.
IMG_20140209_123354-1.jpg

Hey, Chattymatty.... I could never forget about the KingSting, although that thing rides the fence between mtb and BMX cruiser even more than the Sidewinder does. Both the King Sting and the Sidewinder, though, were severely lacking in the brakes dept, and were geared pretty high... I wonder if the Sidewinder would've done better just by having cantilevers.....Actually, with as many as there are still out there, I guess they sold fine.... but the guys who'd just bought a Spesh or any of the Japanese bikes probably showed up all the Schwinn guys on the trail, so there weren't as many repeat-buyers of early Schwinn mtbs as they would've liked.

Excellent point re: the California Cruiser/ Klunker 5.... Of course, by then, California Cruiser was an incorporated business or whatever, and Schwinn should've known better... but the "Klunker 5" debacle seems unfair, looking back at how the majority of the original klunkers were repurposed Chi-town Schwinns.

In other news, I put a 2.125" Kenda k80 mounted to a 7x knockoff into the rear of my collegiate. It was a bit tight, but it fit.... slightly more room than the same set-up had in my '79 Varsity frame. (I rode some light trails with the k80 in the Varsity.... no rubbing, but had there been even the tiniest hop in the rear rim, it would've....) The Collegiates seem to have the same basic front triangle as the 27"-wheel lightweights, but the rear triangle is slacker and longer, so I guess there's more wiggle-room if you run the rear wheel pretty far back in the drop-outs. NBD, though.... that particular Collegiate has a different fate than the faux-Sidewinder build. I'll PM you re: the frame you have, soonish.

Aray51, sorry for the thread hijacking; again, your Thrasher rules, nice score, I'm serious even if this probably reads as me just trying to do some CMA-work! :oops:

Sean
You should have bought it for that price and turned around and flip it and make some extra $$$ or keeped it and restored it..

Hey, Chattymatty.... I could never forget about the KingSting, although that thing rides the fence between mtb and BMX cruiser even more than the Sidewinder does. Both the King Sting and the Sidewinder, though, were severely lacking in the brakes dept, and were geared pretty high... I wonder if the Sidewinder would've done better just by having cantilevers.....Actually, with as many as there are still out there, I guess they sold fine.... but the guys who'd just bought a Spesh or any of the Japanese bikes probably showed up all the Schwinn guys on the trail, so there weren't as many repeat-buyers of early Schwinn mtbs as they would've liked.

Excellent point re: the California Cruiser/ Klunker 5.... Of course, by then, California Cruiser was an incorporated business or whatever, and Schwinn should've known better... but the "Klunker 5" debacle seems unfair, looking back at how the majority of the original klunkers were repurposed Chi-town Schwinns.

In other news, I put a 2.125" Kenda k80 mounted to a 7x knockoff into the rear of my collegiate. It was a bit tight, but it fit.... slightly more room than the same set-up had in my '79 Varsity frame. (I rode some light trails with the k80 in the Varsity.... no rubbing, but had there been even the tiniest hop in the rear rim, it would've....) The Collegiates seem to have the same basic front triangle as the 27"-wheel lightweights, but the rear triangle is slacker and longer, so I guess there's more wiggle-room if you run the rear wheel pretty far back in the drop-outs. NBD, though.... that particular Collegiate has a different fate than the faux-Sidewinder build. I'll PM you re: the frame you have, soonish.

Aray51, sorry for the thread hijacking; again, your Thrasher rules, nice score, I'm serious even if this probably reads as me just trying to do some CMA-work! :oops:
No need to apologize.. Actually I'm learning alot here as you explain the deatails on all the different years, styles, and info that I didin't know about them.. So please continue and educate us all.. I'm sure we will all come back to read this post and study the different things that might help in case we come across another killer score on old school Schwinn bmx 20" 24" or 26" cruiser..

I also have this guy that I bought off CL for $20 from the origenal owner.. He told me that he polished all the aluminun and gave it that ugly yellow and black splatter paint job and then later gave it to his son that never used it and just sat outside and let it go to waste.. All the polished aluminum gone bad and the paint well you can see for yourself needed the help after what he did.. So the owner said that after all the work he did to it and seen how his son neglected it, so he took it and posted it on CL for $20.. I seen it and quickly replied to it and met the guy and here it is waiting for its turn to come back to life.. I'm going to do a KING KLONE.!! I got a lot on my plate with this one once I get started on it.. Will see..

Back